Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How Do I make a Boot Floppy from HD install?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262

    How Do I make a Boot Floppy from HD install?

    I damaged my boot floppy-the one made during knoppix install. How do I make another one? Tried to search this site but there is no straightforward way.

    I just keep a boot floppy in case of emergency -I use grub loader and I can also use the cd to boot.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    You can either:

    * from a windows system: run the mkfloppy.bat script from the KNOPPIX directory on the CD

    * from linux (either live CD or HD-based), locate the boot.img file on the same KNOPPIX directory on the CD,
    then type "dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=80k" (with a formatted floppy in your drive)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    You can either:

    * from a windows system: run the mkfloppy.bat script from the KNOPPIX directory on the CD

    * from linux (either live CD or HD-based), locate the boot.img file on the same KNOPPIX directory on the CD,
    then type "dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=80k" (with a formatted floppy in your drive)
    I believe this only works on live cd or a hard disk based and NOT IN HD INSTALL. This boot floppy searches for the compressed knoppix file which does not exist in a hard disk install. Ihave a compressed knoppix file in my windows partition so everytime I use the floppy it will boot to this file and not on my linux-knoppix partition.

    I do not have this boot.img file(or am I missinmg something here?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by bongski55
    I do not have this boot.img file(or am I missinmg something here?
    It's in the /KNOPPIX directory of the CD.
    If you want to do this from an hd-booted system,
    you first need to mount the cdrom.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by baldyeti
    It's in the /KNOPPIX directory of the CD.
    If you want to do this from an hd-booted system,
    you first need to mount the cdrom.
    As I have stated I HAVE a floppy based on the Live cd and if I use it to boot it detects my hard disk based Knoppix compressed file and not my hard disk INSTALLED knoppix.
    Also I stated that I can boot from the CD but I want to have an emergency boot floppy to boot the hard disk INSTALLATION not the hard disk BASED.

    May I remind you that this forum is for the HARD DISK INSTALL?

    Thanks for your reply anyway!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Sorry; I had misunderstood you indeed.

    According to this other thread
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3630
    mkboot might be the command you're after.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to make boot floppy on 3.8.1
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 09:07 AM
  2. How to make boot floppy?
    By kynn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:53 PM
  3. Can't make boot floppy when installing
    By Joris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 06:55 PM
  4. How do I make a boot floppy?
    By n2meg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 08:24 PM
  5. Make a boot floppy in 3.2
    By Tortoise in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW) picture

Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)

$999.99



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



Juniper EX4300-48T-AFO 48-Port 10/100/1000Base-T Switch+ Dual PSU w/EX-UM-4X4SFP picture

Juniper EX4300-48T-AFO 48-Port 10/100/1000Base-T Switch+ Dual PSU w/EX-UM-4X4SFP

$49.99



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB picture

Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB

$285.00