Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Boot problems with Toshiba CDROM-PCMCIA

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14
    Hi cerberos76,

    I contacted luelljoc who made the boot-floppies for the portege mentioned above, and we are working on a solution to this problem.

    Expect more information shortly.

    .- tx

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14

    luelljoc's PCMCIA CD-ROM boot floppies ready and working!

    Hi everybody,

    after several changes and a lot of testing the floppies for running Knoppix off of a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive are finally ready for a new release!

    Jochen Luell has put the new images up on his site at:
    http://www.luell.com/projects.html#knoppix_pcmcia

    If you have the hardware, please test these boot floppies and report back to the forum!

    I have verified success on my Toshiba Portege 3110ct with the external Freecom PCMCIA CD-ROM drive, using the floppies and the latest (2003-09-22) Knoppix ISO.

    On the Portege 3110ct just boot with cheatcode fb800x600 screen=800x600

    English speaking users might also want to specify lang=us to get your language and keymap setup since this boot floppy is based on the german Knoppix boot floppy.

    Thanks to Jochen for his good work putting this together!

    Best regards,

    David aka tx

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    17

    Great if you have a floppy...

    Glad to hear that if you have a floppy drive AND a PCMCIA drive there is an answer.

    Any hope for those of us who ONLY have a PCMCIA CD drive?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1
    Here is my experience with my Sony Vaio SR-33 (ie., with no built-in floppy or CD-ROM so I had to use a PCMCIA cardbus CD-ROM instead).

    To boot up Knoppix, I had to use the following boot cheatcode: knoppix ide2=0x180 nopcmcia

    Without the 'nopcmcia', the system will hang after it tries to load the PCMCIA/hotplug manager. Without the 'ide2' tag, it'll hang and sang that there is no filesystem.

    I successfully booted it up. I even have it installed on the HDD using the 'tohdd' cheatcode and then running from the HDD with the 'fromhdd'. I also have the notebook booting it up by default after fiddling around with the partition tables.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by drcpu
    Here is my experience with my Sony Vaio SR-33 (ie., with no built-in floppy or CD-ROM so I had to use a PCMCIA cardbus CD-ROM instead).
    Well I tried that with my Port Noteworthy PCMCIA CD-ROM, and I still got the no file system message with the limited share.

    Is it possible that I need to use a different ide2= value than 0x180?

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,
    Ewan

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    17
    FWIW I've tried this using the nopcmcia option and not, and can't say that I see a difference. Trying failsafe also fails.

    Still hoping for a suggestion.

    Thanks,
    Ewan

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5

    Any solution for those of us without floppy drives?

    I'm in the same boat as many others here. Is there some option for users without floppy drives?

    I know that Jochen Luell created those boot floppies, does anyone know if it's possible to roll those changes into a single live CD?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1

    Strange...

    I have the same problem, yet I'm not on a laptop - my BENQ 52x24x52 CDRW is IDE...

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2

    Dell Latitude D400

    The Dell Latitude D400 has USB/proprietary connection for it's floppy/CD-ROM drives. Booting from the CD works but then puts me into the limited shell. Dell makes some USB flash drives that can be made bootable (I know, I tried, It worked) and this may be the answer that this post is looking for (provided that the BIOS supports USB boot). Any ideas as to how this could be done? Tomorrow I will try to copy a boot floppy to the key and I will follow up.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    HeLL
    Posts
    1

    aaaaaaack

    Ive the same problem cant boot from cdrom Im playing with it and watching this thread. 40460XCDT iz my hunk of junk trying to run knopix-std on it. If I get it to boot by mistake Ill post. Im thinking mabey a sledge hammer and alot of anger might solve my problem.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix, PCMCIA and ndiswrapper on a Toshiba Equium A60
    By Zymous in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 10:10 PM
  2. PCMCIA cdrom boot for 2.4.27
    By TyphoonMentat in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 10:02 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 09:50 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 04:27 AM
  5. Once again: PCMCIA-CDROM
    By kea in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX picture

Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX

$14.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99