Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Boot problems with Toshiba CDROM-PCMCIA

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1

    Boot problems with Toshiba CDROM-PCMCIA

    All,

    hopefully someone can help me out. I'm booting from CD but it drops me anytime to this "very limited shell" (only cat, insmod,... is available).
    Here some details and what i tried out so far:

    System: Toshiba Portege 3440 with (Freecom)CDROM via PCMCIA.
    Knoppix: Vers 3.2 and 3.1 (two different CDs, both worked fine on other PCs)

    I tried out:
    a) at start prompt: ide2=0x180 ->no impact
    b) several knoppix noscsi,... -> no impact
    c) the seperate boot disk images from luelljoc ->no impact
    d) following the idea that Freecom CDROM w/h PCMCIA are only working with IRQ3 (posted on www.xenonsoft.demon.co.uk/freecom-cdrw.html) I changed /pcmcia/etc/config the ide-cs device entry from
    Code:
    #device "ide-cs"
    #  class "ide" module "ide-cs"
    #
    to
    Code:
    device "ide-cs"
      class "ide" module "ide-cs" opts "irq_list=3"
    (Thanx to luelljoc without your bootimages I couldn't try this)
    Anyone out there with new ideas?
    Thanx in advance, Marcus

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7
    Hi Marcus,

    the disk images worked on a Toshiba Portege 3110 with (Freecom) PCMCIA CDROM.
    So it should be possible to get this working on your Portege as well.
    When the PMCIA Modules are loaded does the CDROM power LED light up ?
    Because I don't read the forums regularly you can also send me eMail (jochen at luell.com) and we can figure things out.

    Bye
    Jochen

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2

    Same Problem (booting from CD)

    I also have a Toshiba Portege 3340 with a PCMCIA CD-ROM and I cannot get Knoppix to boot. I have the same results as Marcus.

    Has anyone found a fix?

    Bill

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    17

    Another Toshiba with a Different CD-ROM but same result

    I have a Toshiba Portege 3500 and am using a "Port" Noteworthy PCMCIA CD drive, and am also unable to get Knoppix to boot past the "Very Limited Shell". I'd be very interested in a fix (software or procedure).

    Thanks,
    Ewan

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7
    Hi,

    please try the boot disks at: http://www.luell.com/projects.html#otherprojects.
    If it's not working please send me a mail (jochen at luell.com), because I'm not reading the groups on a regular basis.

    Bye
    Jochen

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by luelljoc
    please try the boot disks at: http://www.luell.com/projects.html#otherprojects.
    If it's not working please send me a mail (jochen at luell.com), because I'm not reading the groups on a regular basis.
    I'll email as well, but a floppy option doesn't work because the Toshiba Portege 3500 doesn't have a floppy drive of any kind. I could get a PCMCIA Floppy, but that would then cause a problem since there's only one PCMCIA slot on this machine and I couldn't hook up the CD with the Floppy there.

    Hoping there's another solution out there,
    Ewan

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2
    The 3440 does not have a floppy drive either. I do have a USB floppy, but if the only workaround is to use a boot disk then it is not worth it to me either.

    Thanks for the info anyway luelljoc. I will give it a try just to see if it works and report back (probably not until after the weekend).

    Bill

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    17

    No luck, eh?

    So I'm gathering no one else is having any luck either?

    I tried running Knoppix on another laptop, but Knoppix would die not long after boot up when it would see the attached LaCie Big Disk (360 Gig Firewire HD).

    Guess I'm just not a typical enough user...

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14

    portege 3110ct

    Same problem here. I'm using a Toshiba Portege 3110ct with the freecom pcmcia cdrom, and an external floppy drive.

    I can boot and run a plain Debian installation from cd (woody r2 minicd), though the only kernel which seems to include support for the cdrom is the default (ie 2.2.18?) kernel, neither bf24 or idepci finds the cdrom drive after booting.

    Knoppix just drops me out to the shell mini-environment. ("Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.")

    luelljoc's floppy images does also not work for me, only the i82092 and pcmcia_core modules are loaded. Here the cd-dom does not even seem to get power so I can eject it - which works when I boot from the regular KNOPIX cd.

    I have contacted mr Luell in this matter, waiting for a reply.

    Meanwhile, does anyone else have any ideas?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1
    Hi,
    I have exactly the same problem. Running from a Toshiba Portege 3110CT, tried to boot the Knoppix 3.3 beta 22-9-2003.

    IT does start from the cd-rom (pressing c at the start), but after loading linuz etc. , it tells "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry" and you are stuck in aminishell that is useless (you cannot even reboot to try another combination of cheatcodes).

    Tried many many combinations with no luck.
    Can anyone help?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix, PCMCIA and ndiswrapper on a Toshiba Equium A60
    By Zymous in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 10:10 PM
  2. PCMCIA cdrom boot for 2.4.27
    By TyphoonMentat in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 10:02 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 09:50 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 04:27 AM
  5. Once again: PCMCIA-CDROM
    By kea in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Intel S2600TP 4-Node 32 Core Server 8x Xeon E5-2630 v3, 256GB DDR4 RAM, 2x 1600W picture

Intel S2600TP 4-Node 32 Core Server 8x Xeon E5-2630 v3, 256GB DDR4 RAM, 2x 1600W

$1685.00



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Intel S2600TP 4-Node 64 Core Server 8x Xeon E5-2620 v4, 256GB DDR4 RAM, 2x 1600W picture

Intel S2600TP 4-Node 64 Core Server 8x Xeon E5-2620 v4, 256GB DDR4 RAM, 2x 1600W

$1785.00



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08