Ok, I actually managed to do this and now have Knoppix installed and working perfectly on the laptop.

I followed the advice of Kano on channel #Knoppix on irc.freenode.net. Kano is in charge of the Kanotix release. His advice was to put the entire content of the cdrom onto the FAT32 partition on which Windows was running (This laptop has dual boot, Windows and Linux together). Using this technique I did not need any special boot floppies with pcmcia drivers.

When you turn on the laptop, you need to press C (for cdrom) several times, until the red Toshiba logo appears. It will then proceed to boot the regular knoppix bootable cd, but at the stage where it is looking for knoppix on the cdrom, and can not find it because it does not have the cdrom drivers, it will proceed to scan the other local partitions, and it will find the Knoppix directory from the cdrom and simply start from there!

At this point, it's just the same as with any other knoppix installation... run knoppix-installer and you'r good to go.

Good luck to you all,

Skaag