Did you boot with xmodule=nv?
Hi all,
I recently downloaded Knoppix and it rules man, it boots up and is ready real quick and is as easy to use, "if not better", than Mandrake![]()
I bought a MSI GeforceFX 5600 128MB DDR with VIVO and DVI at a PC show recently to replace my Geforce4MX, and the card is great on windows, however Knoppix does not recognize the card.
I have tried a few command line switches that are listed after pressing "F2" at boot, but the monitor goes blank on the Analogue VGA outlet.
Does anyone know if this version of Knoppix supports the card and if not any way I can get it to display properly until Knoppix supports this card in a newer version.
JamesX............![]()
P.S. Sorry for mentioning the "W" word on a Linux websiteI am weening myself onto Linux and will soon never have to mention the "W" word again
![]()
Did you boot with xmodule=nv?
a-ha
No I didn't try that, but as Knoppix previously picked up my Geforce4MX it must have used that module before, and I assumed it would try a nearest match module for the new card if it didn't have an exact match.
OK I pressed "F2" at the boot screen and then typed "knoppix lang=us xmodule=nv" and it worked straight away no problems.![]()
Woo-hooI got me Linux back, every day I use Linux is one more day closer to weening myself off of Micro$haft.
I suppose this should work with any nvidia GeforceFX 5200, 5600, 5800, and 5900 chipset based Graphics card Ultra version or Normal
Nice one Rickenbacherus you just solved a lot of peoples worries in one quick post., damn the Linux community rules
Laterz,
JamesX................................
james what exactly was wrong with yours?
i have geforcefx 5600 and i cant get knoppix to work, maybe we have same problem?
i am going to try what u did and see if it works.
thanks works like a charm now
I had the same problem to. But i discovered already

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00
Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3
$39.99
Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.
$197.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99