-
Cups doesn't work after hdinstall
I get a message after the hdinstall when I try to use my cups printer that the cups server is not running.
What should I do?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Cups
Hey, I am a little newbie-ish...but:
1. On install, did you tell Knoppix to start cups on boot?
2. Have you tried typing "http://localhost:631" in your browser(mozilla or konqueror)? That should let you configure cups.
Either way, good luck!
xeta prime
-
Junior Member
registered user
Starting cups-server automaticly
If you want to start the Cups-server automaticly you must do (as root):
cd /etc/rc5.d
ln -s ../init.d/cupsys S80cupsys
Hamatoma
-
Use newer iso
I reinstalled with the most up to date iso and cups works no problem now. Still have the mii-tool problem though!
-
Re: Starting cups-server automaticly

Originally Posted by
hamatoma
If you want to start the Cups-server automaticly you must do (as root):
cd /etc/rc5.d
ln -s ../init.d/cupsys S80cupsys
Hamatoma
I had this same problem and tried this, but it did not work. I still get the error message:
Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused.
Any other ideas?
-
Senior Member
registered user
OK, I tried http://localhost:631 after a knoppix-installer and can't get it to work right on local printers and not at all on remote printers over a LAN.
First, I created a local printer as root and it only works for root. I thought that it could work for any user logged on that PC?? Also, I created a local printer for users added to this server (adduser, /home dirs, etc). The only user that this worked for was for the user defined during the installation process. This user could print locally and root could use this printer definition too. However, if I do this with other users I add, they can't print, but root can use their printers to print. This is weird, right? What's wrong with this?
Secondly, how do you define a remote printer over a LAN using http://localhost:631 - what is ipp, etc?
TIA,
Similar Threads
-
By Taldor in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-29-2004, 07:45 PM
-
By gazza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-18-2004, 09:18 PM
-
By Razor-X in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-16-2004, 06:09 AM
-
By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-13-2004, 06:41 PM
-
By Kahhhtt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver
$1500.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G
$75.00

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New
$50.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

Cisco ESW 520 24-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch Rack-Mount Unmanaged L2
$260.00

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module
$599.99