Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Cups doesn't work after hdinstall

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    93

    Cups doesn't work after hdinstall

    I get a message after the hdinstall when I try to use my cups printer that the cups server is not running.

    What should I do?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    22

    Cups

    Hey, I am a little newbie-ish...but:

    1. On install, did you tell Knoppix to start cups on boot?

    2. Have you tried typing "http://localhost:631" in your browser(mozilla or konqueror)? That should let you configure cups.

    Either way, good luck!

    xeta prime

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    24

    Starting cups-server automaticly

    If you want to start the Cups-server automaticly you must do (as root):

    cd /etc/rc5.d
    ln -s ../init.d/cupsys S80cupsys

    Hamatoma

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Hague, The Netherlands
    Posts
    93

    Use newer iso

    I reinstalled with the most up to date iso and cups works no problem now. Still have the mii-tool problem though!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5

    Re: Starting cups-server automaticly

    Quote Originally Posted by hamatoma
    If you want to start the Cups-server automaticly you must do (as root):

    cd /etc/rc5.d
    ln -s ../init.d/cupsys S80cupsys

    Hamatoma
    I had this same problem and tried this, but it did not work. I still get the error message:

    Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
    Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused.

    Any other ideas?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, I tried http://localhost:631 after a knoppix-installer and can't get it to work right on local printers and not at all on remote printers over a LAN.

    First, I created a local printer as root and it only works for root. I thought that it could work for any user logged on that PC?? Also, I created a local printer for users added to this server (adduser, /home dirs, etc). The only user that this worked for was for the user defined during the installation process. This user could print locally and root could use this printer definition too. However, if I do this with other users I add, they can't print, but root can use their printers to print. This is weird, right? What's wrong with this?

    Secondly, how do you define a remote printer over a LAN using http://localhost:631 - what is ipp, etc?

    TIA,

Similar Threads

  1. Mouse doesn't work after hdinstall
    By Taldor in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 07:45 PM
  2. knx-hdinstall don't work
    By gazza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 09:18 PM
  3. Can't get CUPS to work
    By Razor-X in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 06:09 AM
  4. Power Down won't work after hdinstall
    By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-13-2004, 06:41 PM
  5. knx-hdinstall seems not to work.
    By Kahhhtt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-29-2003, 12:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC RT-11 V5.0 8” Floppy Disks HT-11 System BASIC FORTRAN Software Lot picture

Vintage DEC RT-11 V5.0 8” Floppy Disks HT-11 System BASIC FORTRAN Software Lot

$199.95



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)

$149.99



Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware picture

Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware

$649.00



(2) Vintage DEC DLV11-KB RS-232 to 20mA Current Loop Converters PDP-11 As-Is picture

(2) Vintage DEC DLV11-KB RS-232 to 20mA Current Loop Converters PDP-11 As-Is

$170.00



Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19

Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19" High Resolution Monochrome CRT Monitor TESTED

$219.99



VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C picture

VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C

$140.00



Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT picture

Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT

$7250.00



VINTAGE DEC/MDB Systems MLSI-TEV Circuit Board #40040340 1976 (B5) picture

VINTAGE DEC/MDB Systems MLSI-TEV Circuit Board #40040340 1976 (B5)

$69.99