Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: cannot boot: initrd extends beyond end of memory error

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8

    cannot boot: initrd extends beyond end of memory error

    I couldn't boot from the Knoppix cd on my computer. It says:

    initrd extends beyond end of memory (0x1eff3a32 > 0x1eff0000)
    kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:01

    After the knoppix boot screen it freezes with this error. I tried with many boot options and I couldn't get pass this error. I have AMD Duron based system with 512MB Ram. I have two 256MB memory sticks and I get the same error with two or 1 memory sticks, I did this 'cos I assumed boot script didn't recognize my memory properly. Could anyone help me out? I want to boot of the knoppix cd and install knoppix on my system. Did anyone encounter the same/similar error? Is there any other way of installing knoppix on my system???

    Sanjay.

  2. #2
    I get the same problem, need help

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: cannot boot: initrd extends beyond end of memory error

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjay
    I couldn't boot from the Knoppix cd on my computer. It says:

    initrd extends beyond end of memory (0x1eff3a32 > 0x1eff0000)
    kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:01

    After the knoppix boot screen it freezes with this error. I tried with many boot options and I couldn't get pass this error. I have AMD Duron based system with 512MB Ram. I have two 256MB memory sticks and I get the same error with two or 1 memory sticks, I did this 'cos I assumed boot script didn't recognize my memory properly. Could anyone help me out? I want to boot of the knoppix cd and install knoppix on my system. Did anyone encounter the same/similar error? Is there any other way of installing knoppix on my system???

    Sanjay.
    Have you tried booting with the cheat code mem=512M you may also want to try knoppix 2 to boot to a terminal and just run the install script from there.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8
    Hello stephen,

    I have tried both the options and infact many cheat codes, didn't get it work though. I had a similar problem with redhat linux. I booted with win98 cd with cd support and invoked the setup file of RH 8.0 , as I have two cdrom drives. I can't do the same here 'cos there is no setup file in this cd. Is there any similar process that I can follow to setup knoppix linux.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjay
    Hello stephen,

    I have tried both the options and infact many cheat codes, didn't get it work though. I had a similar problem with redhat linux. I booted with win98 cd with cd support and invoked the setup file of RH 8.0 , as I have two cdrom drives. I can't do the same here 'cos there is no setup file in this cd. Is there any similar process that I can follow to setup knoppix linux.
    I don't think so I believe the cd has to be running to copy the system to the HD and make it bootable although I've been wrong before I would suggest subscribing to the developers list at [email protected] if any one can answer that question it would be them. Did the Redhat install work once you ran the setup from the win98 CD?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1

    yeah

    yeah,m Im using two sticks of 256 sdram and the retarded message comes up,
    initrd extends beyond end of memory (0x1eff3a32 > 0x1eff0000)
    kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:01

    kernals shouldt panic!!! what do I do!!!

    (Thanks for typin that, so I didnt have to)

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: yeah

    --As was already mentioned, you have to start knoppix with the mem= cheat code. Sometimes it may not be exactly equal - for instance I had 196MB RAM and had to go all the way down to ' knoppix mem=190M ' for things to work.

    Quote Originally Posted by ackza
    yeah,m Im using two sticks of 256 sdram and the retarded message comes up,
    initrd extends beyond end of memory (0x1eff3a32 > 0x1eff0000)
    kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:01

    kernals shouldt panic!!! what do I do!!!

    (Thanks for typin that, so I didnt have to)

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8
    Yeah, I am using two 256 MB memory sticks too. Fortunately, the mem= cheatcode worked for me. For some reason, It recognizing my memory as 496MB. So, I gave mem=496MB and it worked. I am able to install knoppix on my harddrive too.

    Good luck.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Nuernberg - Germany
    Posts
    1
    Hi sanjay,

    i think the difference of memory is caused by a shared-memory grafic adapter.
    Can you confirme, that you are using 16Mb of your installed memory for the grafic adapter?
    This memory can't be used by any OS.

Similar Threads

  1. i want reiserfs as boot fs? initrd? .knofig?
    By jobuli in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 01:01 PM
  2. Error booting with 256 Mb memory
    By junwen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 10:59 AM
  3. initrd extends beyond end of memory
    By satnews_2004 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 01:57 AM
  4. What is this initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    By alex52 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 06:08 AM
  5. 1 GB memory boot ISO image run entirely from memory?
    By rrolsbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor

$27.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 CPU 2.20GHz 22-Core 55MB 145W LGA2011-3 SR2JV Processor picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 CPU 2.20GHz 22-Core 55MB 145W LGA2011-3 SR2JV Processor

$79.99



Intel Core I7-13700KF Processor picture

Intel Core I7-13700KF Processor

$274.99



AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Desktop CPU Processor Socket AM4 3.6GHz picture

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Desktop CPU Processor Socket AM4 3.6GHz

$60.00