-
KDE Menu (not working copying things to /etc/skel)
I had finished customising my Knoppix distro (actually I was using Kurumin, a brazilian customisided Knoppix) however I have a problem. When I try to use my version everything works out fine the only problem is that my KDE menu seems to be identical to what it was before customising.
I've already tried to edit the kde menu using menuconfig and then copy the ~/.kde to /etc/skel and it still doesn't seem to work. I've already removed the configs.tbz and knoppix.sh that was said to me that "force" kde configurations and it still didn't work. Not even creating a configuration floppy and using it to boot worked out for me.
The strange thing is that when I boot using my versions cd and run the menu editor the programs are appering in the menu editor (and they are set to be shown in the menu) however do not appear in the KDE menu. I've already redid the all the customising/remastering steps and still couldn't get the menu to show what I want.
Please help.
Thanks,
c0in.
P.S.: I've tried to use search through the forum for posts that would answer my question but couldn't get one in where copying ~/.kde to /etc/skel didn't work.
-
When I customize my menu all I do is add or remove .desktop files from my /usr/share/applnk/ directory. I would check in there to see if any of the phantom programs have a .desktop file in there.
I had to do this instead of using menuconfig because I wanted to be able to script the removal of KOffice (which leaves behind its menu entries after doing an apt-get remove). I would assume this same stratagy will work with Kurumin.
Hope this helps,
Adam
-
I'm trying to remaster of Kurumin too...
It is really nice to see such a small remaster, as I never got around to making my own "cut-back"-version of Knoppix work.
(Kix project is promising to make a pureKnoppix, but the project isn't really up-to-date and seems to have reached a stand-still)
Kurumin also has an "extra"-skel directory it links to, might wanna check that out...
However, I tried remastering that too and it still gave me the portugese names, so now I'm gonna try the /usr/share/applink method...
-
I have still the same problem, and i can't find any solution. My remaster is a original knoppix 3.2 version.
I don't know how to go on!
The modified menu is copied well in the ramdisk directory during bootup, but the menu it shows on desktop is still the old one.
Someone knows where the desktop menu is taken from?
Thank you for your help!
-
Senior Member
registered user
I am having this exact same problem. In earlier builds of my remaster, I was able to edit the kmenu and copy it back to /etc/skel and it worked fine. but now it no longer works, and my customized fluxmenu and icewm menus are not working either (though at least they auto-update and cacth the new software I've installed).
I look at the ~/.kde/applnk files (which are the user's kmenu) and they are fine. I run kmenuedit and it shows me my personalized kmenu. And yet the actual kmenu is still the oild one, and changes I make with kmenuedit while running from the cd do nothing.
there is also- /usr/share/applnk (which I overwrote with my own kmenu files), and the 45xsession script looks for /usr/share/knoppix/profile/.kde/applnk (which I created as it did not exist)
Still getting the old kmenu....
Similar Threads
-
By GunSmoke in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-09-2005, 03:35 PM
-
By bhaskar in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-03-2005, 05:24 PM
-
By your_breakfast in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-15-2004, 10:37 PM
-
By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-26-2003, 01:32 AM
-
By Andrew Foster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00

Intel Core i7-11700KF 3.60GHz 8 Core SRKNN 16 Thread LGA 1200 USED
$180.00

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99