Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Netcardconfig not keeping settings

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    16
    I also have a problem like gill but I have succes to reconfigure the network card using netcardconfig from root access from console.
    But I found a new problem here.... after I restart the machine.... the configuration back to DHCP again and the IP is given by DHCP server.
    For your information... i want a static IP for my machine... and I reconfigure it by netcardconfig.

    Why the confguration that change by netcardconfig didn't reload at next restart ?
    What I should do ?

    regards,
    koselan.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    As you can see I have split your post to a new topic this way you have a better chance of getting a reply to your problem that being said on to it.

    Are you running from the HD or CD? If from the HD do you have dhcp client program running on your machine that would get an address from a DHCP server? If you are running from the CD then DHCP is the default method of getting an IP address and you will have to run the netcardconfig to set your static IP unless you use the floppy config or persistant home options off the Knoppix menu.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    16
    i have my Knoppix3.2 installed on my HD and I do not want Knoppix run a DHCP when startup. What I should do ?

    For your information, I always run netcardconfig to set my static IP after my machine boot-up.

    Please help me.
    Thanks

    Susanto W

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by koselan
    i have my Knoppix3.2 installed on my HD and I do not want Knoppix run a DHCP when startup. What I should do ?

    For your information, I always run netcardconfig to set my static IP after my machine boot-up.

    Please help me.
    Thanks

    Susanto W
    You need to edit /etc/network/interfaces.

    You should see a line like this: iface eth0 inet dhcp

    Remove dhcp and you should be good to go.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Your configuration should be getting saved by running netcardconfig that being said you can check in the file /etc/network/interfaces this is where your settings for the card are contained example file below:
    Code:
    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
    
    # The loopback interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    
    # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
    # (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 192.168.0.1
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            network 192.168.0.0
            broadcast 192.168.0.255
            gateway 192.168.0.254
    It should have a similar format to this you would of course adjust the settings to yours.

    Your nameservers settings would be in the file /etc/resolv.conf example file:
    Code:
    search wolf
    nameserver 192.168.1.10
    nameserver 192.168.1.34
    You only need the one nameserver line the search of your domain and the extra nameserver are not necessary.

    The hostname for your computer is set in the file /etc/hostname and that is just one line with the hostname for your computer example:
    Code:
    HappyTux
    You should have similar settings in all these files and when you reboot the settings should be used if they are not used could you post the contents of each of these files before you change them so you can connect. All editing of these files done as root of course.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    16
    Dear Stephen,

    I've tried all day with your example but after a machine-restart my machine still use IP from DHCP. And now, when I need to setup my static IP on my machine, I just type :
    $ /etc/init.d/networking restart

    After doing this so far, I have coclusion that there are another setting that run DHCP automatic after a restart and do not use my setting on /etc/resolve.conf; /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/hostname.

    Any one can help me ?
    Thanks.

    Susanto W

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    16
    Finally I found the problem.

    And I want to share with you....
    I found a file /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig

    Configuration for knoppix start-up is in this file so I also found that there was an instruction :

    pump -i $DEVICE >/dev/null 2>&1 &

    I know that instruction is find the DHCP server ... is it right ?

    So I disable that instruction and replace with
    /etc/init.d/networking restart

    then.... My wish is come true.....


    Finally, I want to thanks for every one that already help me.
    Thanks

    Susanto W

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    10
    You rule dude, ive been messing with this for the last two days and i thought i was going nuts!!! but your changed worked for me also!!!!

    thanks alot

Similar Threads

  1. Keeping icons the way they were?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 03:43 AM
  2. Keeping Settings
    By ron2big in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 07:24 PM
  3. Problems keeping settings across reboot
    By TheTempest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 10:30 PM
  4. netcardconfig?
    By Zak in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 01:00 PM
  5. KDE not keeping English keyboard settings
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 03:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



LOT 6x Hynix 32gb PC4-2666V 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC RDIMM Memory HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK - PARTS picture

LOT 6x Hynix 32gb PC4-2666V 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC RDIMM Memory HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK - PARTS

$750.00



(8) Micron 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM PC4-2933Y Server Memory MTA36ASF4G72PZ *TESTED* picture

(8) Micron 32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM PC4-2933Y Server Memory MTA36ASF4G72PZ *TESTED*

$1599.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$289.80