Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: hdinstall erased wrong partition for swap

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3

    hdinstall erased wrong partition for swap

    I installed Knoppix in my HD. Before the partitioning tool was run I had the following partitions:

    /dev/hda1 (win1)
    /dev/hda2 (linux)
    /dev/hda5 (win2)

    I didn't have a swap partition for the previous Linux installation since it was only for trying it out. Since I am now thinking about switching to Linux, I removed /dev/hda2 which was 5GB and created two new partitions with one of them being a swap partition of 500MB.

    So in the partitioning tool, I was shown the following information:

    /dev/hda1 (win)
    /dev/hda2 (linux)
    /dev/hda5 (swap)
    /dev/hda6 (win2)

    So when I clicked ok I came to a page where I was asked whether I wanted /dev/hda5 to use as a swap partition. I agreed since I thought that he would have rearranged the internal partition map. Only later I realized that there was a message after writing the partition table which was something like "The partition table was written to disk but couldn't be reloaded."

    To cut it short: My old /dev/hda5 partition was taken as swap partition though the partition type is still Fat32. I cannot access my partition anymore even from within WinXP and I wonder whether all the data was lost or can I do something to get it back?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Partitions formatted under Linux ext2,3,reiser,or xfs are not visible under windows-as regular disk partitions like D,E,F,etc. However you can still check their presence by using Partition magic( and sometimes the DRDos fdisk).
    Also if you boot with the knoppix cd it should show your partitons with no problems. Then there is Qt parted.
    If you want the data on your old partition I think that is gone.

    You did not mention if your HD install was successful?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: hdinstall erased wrong partition for swap

    Quote Originally Posted by droy



    So when I clicked ok I came to a page where I was asked whether I wanted /dev/hda5 to use as a swap partition. I agreed since I thought that he would have rearranged the internal partition map. Only later I realized that there was a message after writing the partition table which was something like "The partition table was written to disk but couldn't be reloaded."
    Also included in the warning was a line telling you to re-boot for the changes to take effect which you obviously did not do therefore it over wrote the existing partition that was read from the old table still loaded.

Similar Threads

  1. What is wrong with my partition table?
    By yonatan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 02:00 AM
  2. swap partition
    By ZeroKun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:44 PM
  3. Help with swap partition
    By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 11:31 PM
  4. Must have swap partition?
    By metavoid in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:40 PM
  5. Linux swap partition
    By Sucker in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2003, 11:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00 picture

Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TS-S01U00

$279.00



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor

$249.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00