-
hdinstall erased wrong partition for swap
I installed Knoppix in my HD. Before the partitioning tool was run I had the following partitions:
/dev/hda1 (win1)
/dev/hda2 (linux)
/dev/hda5 (win2)
I didn't have a swap partition for the previous Linux installation since it was only for trying it out. Since I am now thinking about switching to Linux, I removed /dev/hda2 which was 5GB and created two new partitions with one of them being a swap partition of 500MB.
So in the partitioning tool, I was shown the following information:
/dev/hda1 (win)
/dev/hda2 (linux)
/dev/hda5 (swap)
/dev/hda6 (win2)
So when I clicked ok I came to a page where I was asked whether I wanted /dev/hda5 to use as a swap partition. I agreed since I thought that he would have rearranged the internal partition map. Only later I realized that there was a message after writing the partition table which was something like "The partition table was written to disk but couldn't be reloaded."
To cut it short: My old /dev/hda5 partition was taken as swap partition though the partition type is still Fat32. I cannot access my partition anymore even from within WinXP and I wonder whether all the data was lost or can I do something to get it back?
Similar Threads
-
By yonatan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 02-17-2005, 02:00 AM
-
By ZeroKun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:44 PM
-
By bob58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-19-2004, 11:31 PM
-
By metavoid in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:40 PM
-
By Sucker in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3
$200.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.
$280.00