Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: problem extracting and remaking iso file system

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    11

    problem extracting and remaking iso file system

    Hi. I have a strange problem -- in previous versions of knppix, I extracted the compressed file system on the cd, made the kernel changes and then recompressed successfully. NOw if I just extract and then do a mkisofs -- after changing only two small files and the kernel, it comes out about 4 megs larger than before, and so it compresses much bigger.

    Does anyone know what I am doing wrong.

    I use mkisofs -r -o <filename> <place where I extracted the compressed system>

    Also, I saw a post about a remastering howto -- where is this to be found?

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    11
    I found the howto useful, but the question still remains -- why if I just extract the files with NO changes and re make the iso file system -- why is it not the same size? I am running very close to the edge and this is important -- I am already burning 816mb according to cdrdao.

    Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto

    That's the guide I used.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Are you using the mkisofs commands found in that how-to? If all you've done is extract and edit a couple of files, you should not be seeing an increase in size.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    78
    I posted this on another thread too..
    Did you unmount the proc-filesystem before remastering ??
    If you don't, you'll end up with a (much) larger ISO...
    Hope it helped.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    11
    I think one thing which might help this problem is if we might know the exact parameters which were used to create the original iso for the compressed file system -- anyone can help with that?

Similar Threads

  1. read-only file system problem
    By MrBigTime in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 06:42 PM
  2. Problem writing to DOS file-system...
    By Bidi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 04:57 AM
  3. problem remaking the ISO-file
    By ska_p_te in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 06:14 AM
  4. What file system?
    By Drewby in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 06:54 PM
  5. No root file system (but system works)
    By freyley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper Networks SRX340 16x1GbE Ports Service Gateway Security Appliance W/ Ears picture

Juniper Networks SRX340 16x1GbE Ports Service Gateway Security Appliance W/ Ears

$79.99



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty picture

New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty

$895.00



Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks

$124.99



Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch

$249.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



Juniper EX3400-48T Ethernet Switch, 12-Port, Gigabit, Rack Mount picture

Juniper EX3400-48T Ethernet Switch, 12-Port, Gigabit, Rack Mount

$184.99