Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: New Klaus Knopper Interview

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    New Klaus Knopper Interview

    There is a Klaus Knopper interview regarding Knoppix at PCTechtalk. I like this statement:
    I cannot compare [Linux and Windows], because I never had a Windows PC. So far, I can't get around with Windows, it's too complicated for me and I cannot change anything there to fit my needs.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    thanks for the link to the interesting interview!
    well, if Knopper never had a window$ PC I suppose he cannot appreciate the absolute beauty of his own product
    cheers!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164

    Brilliant, now I admire the man even more

    Klaus is an excellent advocate for the Free Software world. He holds a balanced viewpoint with regard to horses for courses while clearly outlining the benefits/drawbacks of various options. I also love how he sticks to the RMS line of GNU/Linux and makes sure that he refers to it as a kernel and applications, which reinforces his statements as to the freedom to use the same applications on another kernel (BSD). Someone out there (like the OSDL or Linux International) should put this guy on the pay-roll to do what he's doing and to send him around the world to promote Free Software.
    I have loved Knoppix since I discovered it, now I love the man behind it aswell. Keep up the good work Klaus!

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    bfree - I was writing this tongue-in-cheek, really only jocking! Of course, Knopper is the ultimate Linux promoter and I am also confident that he was also jocking in the quote which heads this thread.

    on anothe topic - does Knopper have a group of people helping him or does it *really* do it all on himself?

    Cheers!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164

    tongue-in-cheek

    While I realise that it was a touch amusing to read (especially the I've never used Windows bits) overall it really does provide a very nice overview of the different worlds. It's not a "Linux is better" or "Free software is better" or "Windows is evil" type piece which you often read but instead it is a "I like GNU/Linux and Unix" piece which points out that anyone might and it's easy to try. The only piece of the article which seems bizarre is "Most people and companies that I know are already using GNU/Linux on the personal PCs" which in my experience couldn't be further from the truth (unfortunately).

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by andrei
    bfree - I was writing this tongue-in-cheek, really only jocking! Of course, Knopper is the ultimate Linux promoter and I am also confident that he was also jocking in the quote which heads this thread.

    on anothe topic - does Knopper have a group of people helping him or does it *really* do it all on himself?

    Cheers!
    I just discovered knoppix the other day. I really like it... Iam mostly a windows tech, (the store where I work, sells 99% windows computers, therefore I get very framilar with windows) but would like to get to know linux beter, I liked knoppix because it worked perfectly on my machine in just a few minutes. (although it didnt like running in VMware for some reason)...

    The reason I posted here, was, can I use your "boycott SCO" pic? I like the sentiment.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Occupant
    The reason I posted here, was, can I use your "boycott SCO" pic? I like the sentiment.
    You can have your pick of 4 different ones here they are released under the terms of the GPL.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Occupant
    The reason I posted here, was, can I use your "boycott SCO" pic? I like the sentiment.
    oops. sorry I missed your post. I did not mean to be rude my not answering it. but yes, of course you can use it since its not mine

    and look a the one Stephen suggests - pick the best one!

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3
    Cool. I didnt want to just Hijack your pic, its a small virtuall world and I can see how some would be easily offended by doing that without asking...

    to get back on topic, I read the interview, and unlike steve jobs or scott mcneally, who at times come of as zelot fan-boy idiots, Klaus Knopper comes accross as a rational thinking person.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    53
    he sure is one smart guy. but I wonder if there are other helping him. surely such a complete and 'polisshed' product like Knoppix is not the work of one single guy?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Klaus Knopper Interview
    By eadz in forum Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 01:00 AM
  2. Interview with Klaus Knopper in russian
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 01:08 AM
  3. New Klaus Knopper interview.
    By eadz in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2002, 01:49 AM
  4. A New Klaus Knopper Interview
    By aay in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2002, 05:34 AM
  5. Interview with Klaus Knopper
    By eadz in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2002, 02:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50