View Poll Results: Do you hate Deepfreeze?
- Voters
- 15. You may not vote on this poll
-

Originally Posted by
stevedperkins
Not trying to be a smart-aleck, but what exactly is so "evil" about this application? You mentioned in your own post (although I could have guessed even if you hadn't said anything) that these are your SCHOOL's machines you are talking about. The school's... as in, NOT YOURS... presumably provided for classwork-related activities (internet, word processing, etc).
It sounds like the system admins wish to avoid the headaches and potentially severe legal liability of people using their machines for porn, file-sharing, lauching of DOS and other attacks... not to mention picking up viruses and otherwise breaking things because people don't know what their doing and/or don't care (since it's not their machine, it's not THEIR problem). Good for them, that seems like responsible system management.
If you want a box to play with as you see fit, BUY ONE. These days a perfectly serviceable box runs only a few hundred bucks... a few weeks of working part-time job would get you there (especially right now during the holiday season, when part-time jobs literally grow on Christmas trees). I can't believe that so many people on these boards give the time of day to script-kiddies looking to use Knoppix as a tool for bypassing security and misusing property that isn't theirs.
(Before I start, if I sound offensive, I'm not, so dont take this in a bad way)
First of all, I'm in my 4th computer. So I don't really need a new one to play with. My systems are more than enough to play with M$ win, linux, and everything...I even have an old P1 90 mhz comp for chatting on Aim (nAim) and browsing the internet (links). Oh, one thing, I'm only 16 years old!
Second of all, my point is not to break the school's computers, nor hack into others from them. My whole point of getting rid of deepfreeze is...well, let me give u a scenario:
Say I have to print out an assignment I typed out in my PDA (btw, my PDA runs linux
). I copy it to a compactflash, and then put it in a compactflash reader.
Then I go to one of the win98 pcs and insert the compacflash reader in the USB port. It doesnt detect it automatically, well, simply because it's...uhm...Windows.
So I go to the website, download w98 drivers, and install them. At the end of the install wizard, i get a YOU MUST RESTART TO CONTINUE!
If I restart, I will lose the drivers, and the setup.exe file i downloaded, so I'll just go back to where I started from. Now tell me, how am I gonna print out that assignment if I can't get the drivers properly installed???
That really pisses me off, that's why I really hate Deepfreeze.
And because if I'm working on something, and my pc freeze up, and I have to restart it, all those backup files M$ Word makes, or any other program, will be gone.
See where I'm heading?
So thats' why I hate DF.
'Java Nice day.
Hernan
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99