Hey cowmamba what's the model number just in case there are other people looking for such a device.
ok if you remember i was haveing the problems with my modem well i said i was going to buy that us robotics modem to se what would happen well i went to bestbuy today they had it so i bought it and put it in and then i got on knoppix and at first i couldent get it with the kppp dialer and all so i went to shell and did pppconfig and configured everything and dialed on and imm on it now as i type this imm sorry i so Happy well thanks for your time and everything![]()
![]()
Hey cowmamba what's the model number just in case there are other people looking for such a device.
well it's usr5610b from us roboticts if you look down a few post's at the post Help i cant get online there is more on it
Ok, thanks.
Wow. Maybe you can suggest a fix for me. I have been experimenting with different modems over the last few days without much success. I am very interested in using Knoppix and find Linux and open source an attractive alternative to the "enslavement" of Windows. I have the US Robotics USB Model 5633A 56K USB v92 external modem. H-E-L-P!
I added drivers for lucent chipset winmodems into my remaster, and I'm going to add the driver for Intel/Ambient chipsets too (Intel536ep). I just don't have these modems to do any testing, nor to I have a dial-up connection at home.
Overclockix
I think I have figured out the problem through a process of elimination...and the buying and returning of several external modems. It seems that some external modems connected to my PC's serial port work with Linux but actually shut down Win XP when I try to use Win XP, due to some type of conflict, even though I select the external modem. I just tried a US Robotics USB V92 external modem which worked for Win XP; it was recognized on Linux, too, but just froze on the command "initializing." Seems like I need two modems. Using the PC's internal to boot up Win XP and a "Linux friendly" external for Linux boot ups. Am I wrong here?
I used to technical support for Symantec Winfax.
If you want a modem that with a) work well with both windows and linux b) will not need extra drivers in knoppix and c) will send and receive faxes without problems. There is one solution.
If you have a COM port that is available, purchase, a SERIAL port based EXTERNAL HARDWARE MODEM.
It will just work all the time in BOTH environments

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99