Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix CD wont complete boot up

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix CD wont complete boot up

    Just received version 3.2 dated 7/24/2003 from Cheapbytes today. No joy. I have two machines -- both AMD 2000+ with 256M of memory. ECS MBs Different modems/ differen video cards, different sound.

    Can't get either one to boot up. First one hangs trying to write to /etc/fstab. Second one goes to the point of trying to start the Xserver, then just shuts down, and turns off the power to my monitor.

    Have I just got a bad CD?? interesting that it hangs at different points. First machine is happily running Mandrake 9.0, dual boot with Win98SE. Second is Win98SE only.

    Comments please!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Knoppix CD wont complete boot up

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne W
    Just received version 3.2 dated 7/24/2003 from Cheapbytes today. No joy. I have two machines -- both AMD 2000+ with 256M of memory. ECS MBs Different modems/ differen video cards, different sound.

    Can't get either one to boot up. First one hangs trying to write to /etc/fstab. Second one goes to the point of trying to start the Xserver, then just shuts down, and turns off the power to my monitor.

    Have I just got a bad CD?? interesting that it hangs at different points. First machine is happily running Mandrake 9.0, dual boot with Win98SE. Second is Win98SE only.

    Comments please!
    Are you using any cheat codes? To check for a bad CD boot with knoppix testcd at the boot: prompt. For the second machine I would suggest using the noddc cheat code to stop detection of the monitor. You may also want to try failsafe, knoppix-txt or vga=normal cheat codes..

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3
    Found the problem on the first machine. It hangs up on the USB detection. I have a flashmemory reader on the usb port. When I did the nousb option it went ahead and booted. Also when I removed the reader it also would boot without further options. I notice that hotplug is enabled on knoppix. Should I see anything happen automagically when I plug the flashreader in???? Nothing does, so I guess I will have to find a way to mount it.


  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I'm not sure about the card reader never used one, you may want to start a new thread on that and as always Google Linux is the best place to start the search for answers. What errors are you still getting on the second machine?

Similar Threads

  1. wont complete boot
    By maxpower57 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 05:48 PM
  2. PC wont boot Knoppix
    By Weetabix in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 08:19 PM
  3. Knoppix wont boot
    By Bklynjava in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 02:37 PM
  4. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  5. Knoppix wont even boot
    By simmo in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 02:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Mellanox 655874-B21  655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678 picture

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678

$13.99



Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90



CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED picture

CISCO SFP-10G-SR V03 10-2415-03 NEW SEALED

$39.99