Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Need to run fsck manually during every reboot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    9

    Need to run fsck manually during every reboot

    I have recently installed Knoppix on my PC. While the initial installation was successful, I am finding that during every reboot, I see the following message:

    /dev/hda3 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
    [...]

    At that point, I need to run fsck manually and then reboot.

    Not sure why this is happening. Is there a way to workaround this issue?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4
    i had this problem when i installed with knx-hdinstall

    and when i tried knoppix-install i didn't get said problem. i don't know why it should make a difference, but it did.

    even with the same disk.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3

    solved

    I had this problem with the latest version of Knoppix. (yes i used knx-hdinstall). It seems that the default checkroot.sh file assumes incorrect return codes from fsck/e2fsck. You need to change line 99 from:

    if [ $? -gt 1 ]

    to:

    if [ $? -gt 3 ]

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1

    semi-related: how to fry your hd-installed knoppix system.

    Hi.

    This is hopefully not *totally* off-topic, but I ran into what looks like a problem.

    I had this little toshiba laptop with knoppix 3.1 installed on the hard drive. It hung while powering down, so I hard powered it down.

    This made the filesystem unhappy, and when I rebooted, the system ran fsck. Of course, my copy of knoppix 3.1 (a semi custom job I got from a friend of mine at a "large software company") runs xfs.

    fsck -- *not* fsck.xfs -- "repaired" the hard drive. Now I have a Toshiba doorstop.

    I know I'm running an older version, and I don't know if the regular knoppix distro is xfs, but I suspect that this is a problem worth shouting about.

    Cheers.

Similar Threads

  1. HDD Boot, fsck repair and reboot ???
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 03:22 PM
  2. Manually set IP?
    By LRutker in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 12:50 AM
  3. how to: change mac address manually??
    By nimuex in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:39 AM
  4. Upgrading manually glibc
    By takamine in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 11:41 PM
  5. How to manually install to hdd?
    By baldyeti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2003, 02:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$125.98



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00