Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: hardware autoconfig

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3

    hardware autoconfig

    When I used Knoppix I found it to be the best Linux distro since it reckognized all of my laptop hardware like my external hard drive connected via PC card firewire. Also I like the standard configuration of KDE a lot.

    This convinced me of installing Knoppix to HD. But I was really surprised to see none of the hardware auto configuration working after hdinstall.

    Is it possible to include knoppix-autoconfig somewhere in the boot process so that the HD installation gets configured exactly the same way as the Knoppix CD?

    I have searched here on this website and I have also googled a bit. I am sorry if I am missing something. Any hint to RTFM would be just fine.

    I am just surprised that this topic doesn't seem to be that important or why isn't it covered in the docs? To me, the auto configuration is the most important reason to switch over to Knoppix and I would guess that this is just the same for many users who either don't have the time or the Linux experience to figure out all that stuff on their own. And I am also pretty sure that you wouldn't want to run Knoppix from CD all the time, would you?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3
    I should also mention that running knoppix-autoconfig from SysV editor as mentioned in another thread didn't work for me.

    Also, I tried to include the script in one of the run levels in SysV editor but also to no avail. It seems that all modules are being loaded earlier and autoconfig get confused about that.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    Re: hardware autoconfig

    Quote Originally Posted by droy
    When I used Knoppix I found it to be the best Linux distro since it reckognized all of my laptop hardware like my external hard drive connected via PC card firewire. Also I like the standard configuration of KDE a lot.

    This convinced me of installing Knoppix to HD. But I was really surprised to see none of the hardware auto configuration working after hdinstall.

    Is it possible to include knoppix-autoconfig somewhere in the boot process so that the HD installation gets configured exactly the same way as the Knoppix CD?

    I have searched here on this website and I have also googled a bit. I am sorry if I am missing something. Any hint to RTFM would be just fine.

    I am just surprised that this topic doesn't seem to be that important or why isn't it covered in the docs? To me, the auto configuration is the most important reason to switch over to Knoppix and I would guess that this is just the same for many users who either don't have the time or the Linux experience to figure out all that stuff on their own. And I am also pretty sure that you wouldn't want to run Knoppix from CD all the time, would you?
    I'm disappointed that no one has answered your question, which I think is an incredibly important one. Is there no solution to this??

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    I can think of a 'poormans install', you basicaly copy the big Knoppix compressed-drive onto your HD. You can extract the floppy-image and run the kernel via lilo (bootmanager) or loadlin (DOS). It will run exactly like from the CD-ROM, you won't be able to add anything, etc. There is some documentation about this floating around in this forum (and probably the docs too).

    I can also think about a less drastic knx-hdinstall script which extracts the compressed-drive image but doesn't disable the scripts. But I think you would need to patch the boot scripts in a lot of places to make it more like Debian (so you can use apt-get), not using the cloop and ramdrive, etc...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: hardware autoconfig

    ' apt-get update; apt-get install discover '

    Quote Originally Posted by feh3k
    I'm disappointed that no one has answered your question, which I think is an incredibly important one. Is there no solution to this??

Similar Threads

  1. Saving Configuration/stopping autoconfig?
    By ShaunMcGoldrick in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 01:15 AM
  2. knoppix-autoconfig
    By farawayuser in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2003, 12:28 AM
  3. knoppix-autoconfig does not detect in HD
    By kim in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 04:07 AM
  4. Add special hardware to the hardware detection on boot
    By Danmak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 03:40 AM
  5. Req: /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig
    By Ragaprong in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 06:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs picture

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs

$149.97



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95