Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Video problems

  1. #1
    frannette
    Guest

    Video problems

    On my Pentium II PC knoppix will start up well, but the video screen is devided into two halfs. The right part of the desktop seems to be on the left of the screen and the left part on the right. So the right border and the left border of the screen meet in the middle. Verry strange. However, clicking on items on the screen needs to be done on the places they should be. So I see the start menu of KDE in the middle (bottom), but to open it I have to click on the place it normally is, left bottom. Can someone help me with this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    RE: Video problems

    <snip>
    ...the video screen is devided into two halves. The right part of the desktop seems to be on the left of the screen and the left part on the right.
    </snip>

    It's possible that there may be a monitor incompatibility with the default display mode. Try doing an on-the-fly screen-resolution change. In KDE, press and hold the [Ctrl] and [Alt] keys, then press the [+] or [-] key (on the numeric keypad) to toggle the resolution; in other words, do a [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[+] or [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[-] key combination. Report back; I'll try to help more when I get more info.

    (Edited for content: numeric keypad clarification)

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    35
    "do a [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[+] or [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[-] key combination"


    the +/- on the keypad

  4. #4
    frannette
    Guest

    Still video problems

    I have tried ctrl alt + or - but it did not solve this problem. I either get the divided screen or a screen with only horizontal stripes. My video card is a diamond stealth with 4 mB video memory.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    RE: Still video problems

    <snip>
    I have tried ctrl alt + or - but it did not solve this problem.
    </snip>

    What monitor do you have (brand/model)? The only other possibility is that the monitor model is mis-read or unreadable. The scan rates can be forced with the cheat codes -- but we need to figure them out first (I used to be a monitor repairman, so I know these things...).

  6. #6
    frannette
    Guest

    monitor type

    I use a Philips 17 inch monitor model: 17C2622E (107S)

  7. #7
    Guest

    RE: Monitor ID under Linux?

    The Philips 17-inch monitor model 17C2622E is not sold here in the States, but a Google search found an Italian site that gave me enough info to go on, I think. At the initial boot prompt, try typing in

    knoppix xvrefresh=60

    If that works, try

    knoppix xvrefresh=75

    and let us know...

  8. #8
    frannette
    Guest

    XVrefresh

    xvrefresh=60 gives a screen with only horizontal stripes, 75 gives the divided screen. I have tried another kernel, fb800x600 and this seems to work fine. Also fb1024x768 works fine. I will test further and let you know

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1

    vidoe problem (spit sreen) solved

    I had the same problem with my Diamond Steath SII 220 card.
    I solved by using:
    knoppix xmodule=vesa
    from the syslinux bootprompt

  10. #10
    Rob
    Guest

    Video Problems.

    Yep, I am finally installing this on my old pc and well, it too has the Stealth II S220 with the KDS XF70 monitor. I tried the "knoppix xmodule=vesa" and the [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [+] and or [-]. The + and - keys made the refresh rate change drastically. However, none of them were able to correct the problem of the split screen that I have.

    Is there anything else I might be able to try?

    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. video problems
    By JFAB in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:41 AM
  2. Knoppix 3.4 video modes problems!!
    By PaladminBC in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 06:51 PM
  3. Video Problems after booting 3.3
    By smittan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 08:01 PM
  4. HDD/Video problems
    By gsanvic in forum Laptops
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 06:59 AM
  5. Problems with PCI Video when built-in AGP is present
    By joekrahn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 07:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$199.99



Sophos XG 125 Rev.3 Desktop Firewall 8x GbE 1x SFP Wiped - No Power Adapter picture

Sophos XG 125 Rev.3 Desktop Firewall 8x GbE 1x SFP Wiped - No Power Adapter

$74.99



Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5gb W/Rack Mount Kit W/Keystones and Original hardware. picture

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5gb W/Rack Mount Kit W/Keystones and Original hardware.

$500.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware picture

Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware

$89.99