Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: 32 bit or 64 bit

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    50

    32 bit or 64 bit

    I have a 64-bit processor on a Dell 9360 machine.
    If I boot into Knoppix 8.2.0 Live from a portable drive and run simple queries as follows I get:
    $ lscpu
    Architecture: x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s): 32 bit,64 bit
    Flags: ... lm ...
    $ lshw -C processor | grep width
    width: 64 bits
    $ grep flags /proc/cpuinfo | grep " lm "
    Flags: ... lm ...

    which all confirm the 64-bit architecture. BUT the response
    CPU op-mode(s): 32 bit,64 bit
    apparently indicates that I am running a 64-bit-capable machine in 32-bit-mode.
    Yes? - is this a true interpretation?
    My /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg file contains the lines (omitting redundant qualifiers for ease of reading)
    DEFAULT fergus
    LABEL fergus
    KERNEL ifcpu64.c32
    APPEND knoppix64 -- knoppix
    APPEND knoppix64
    LABEL knoppix
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND initrd=minirt.gz
    LABEL knoppix64
    KERNEL linux64
    APPEND initrd=minirt.gz

    which I hoped meant "if 64-bit machine use 64-bit OS; if 32-bit machine use 32-bit OS" but apparently not.
    How can I tweak the isolinux.cfg file to behave as required one line up?
    Thank you!
    PS1 I have to admit (I have only just noticed) that the file ifcpu64.c32 referred to above is very suggestive of an instruction "if 64-bit machine use 32-bit OS". Is that what it achieves, and the cause of the mismatch described?
    PS2 I use this ifcpu file from the Knoppix 7.4.2 provision. I find the Knoppix 8.2.0 version stops Knoppix stone dead before it even starts. It simply does not work, at all. Anybody else?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    24
    Check out the Cheat Codes for optional bootup switches.

    http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



32GB (2x16GB) SK Hynix PC4-2666V DDR4-21300 Desktop Memory HMA82GU6JJR8N-VK picture

32GB (2x16GB) SK Hynix PC4-2666V DDR4-21300 Desktop Memory HMA82GU6JJR8N-VK

$109.99



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



Micron 64GB PC4-2666V (2 X 64GB) DDR4-2666 LRDIMM Memory picture

Micron 64GB PC4-2666V (2 X 64GB) DDR4-2666 LRDIMM Memory

$580.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON picture

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON

$149.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50