Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: edited /etc/resolv.conf will not stick

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4

    edited /etc/resolv.conf will not stick

    I have edited my DNS settings in vi and saved this, but when I change user or reboot, the old values come back.

    My problem is I cannot resolve web addresses. Modem works, can connect to ISP, but cannot get to websites.

    What do I do after I edit /etc/resolv.conf ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Under the assumption that you are booting from hard drive, you need to edit the file as root.

    su
    <password>
    vi /etc/resolv.conf


    If not, perhaps someone who regularly boots the cd could further explain how to save your settings to a persistent home directory.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Look what I just stumbled across on the mailing list:

    > I am not allowed to edit /etc/resolv. Although I can edit its
    content
    > while "save and exit" it changes back to its original
    content.

    Known problem as its a symlink ...

    As root do:

    rm /etc/resolv.conf
    ln -s /etc/ppp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
    chmod 644 /etc/resolv.conf

    cu

    Fabian
    Hope that gets you fixed up.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the reply.

    I did edit the file as root, and I do have a HDD install. I saved it (I use vi all the time in other work).

    However, the problem continues. I did this bit a few more times. The DNS setting sticks if I just change user, but returns to the original value if I reboot.

    Strange.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4
    rickenbacherus:

    Belated thanks. My above post was done before I saw your second post.

    However .... I tried what you suggested. Still no working DNS with the values that showed up after the suggested procedure. Later, still no working DNS with newly edited values.

    But I am rebooting now. Do the new values stick?
    .... No. They reverted back to the original values that were in place before I did any editing or did the suggested procedure.

    So - tomorrow I'll try some more.

    Again, thanks.

    Cliff

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi All

    I am no expert on hard disk install since I operate
    with no hard drive. I am sure there is a better
    solution but you may find my method useful.

    I use the fact that upon boot up KDE runs a startup
    folder. Just put a script in here to fixes whatever
    ails you. I my case I read the files from a second
    cd rom but you have a hard drive so use a folder
    -- not /mnt/cdrom1

    Click Home --> View --> Show Hidden Files -->.kde
    Autostart --> (make you own) MyFixIt.sh

    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    sudo ifconfig eth0 ###.###.###.### netmask 255.255.254.0
    sudo route add default gw ###.###.###.###
    sudo cp -fp /mnt/cdrom1/resolv.conf /ect/resolv.conf
    contents of resolv.conf
    Code:
    nameserver ###.###.###.###
    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4
    paradocs:

    Thank you for the tip. I will try it this afternoon when I finish work. Hope it works.

    cliff

Similar Threads

  1. /etc/resolv.conf is good but DNS is not working
    By darthspacey in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 02:51 AM
  2. editing smb.conf
    By Legithrandil in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
  3. lilo.conf
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 05:03 PM
  4. sym link to /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf & hd install
    By Joseph Schiller in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:30 PM
  5. modules.conf, what it is for ?
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2003, 11:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$140.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99