there is a "start nessus" menu option in the kde knoppix menu, you probally have to use that as it may start nessusd with some special options.
Nessus (local client, local server) seems to fail. I'll keep looking at it, but here's what I know:
Using the 1.1.03 version (3.1?) of Knoppix-EN.
When I run 'nessusd -D', Nessus complains about a certificate:
*** 'ca_file' is not set - did you run nessus-mkcert ?
According to msgs on google, this was due to a bad RPM, and getting a new/fixed RPM solved the problem.
Has anyone had better luck with this? So far, I have:
Attempted to apt-get install nessusd, since I know debian better than RPM's (Linux's answer to .dll hell): apt-get Result wasn't pretty. Uglier still when I did an apt-get update.
running nessus-mkcert did have one error in the midst of it:
------------------------ snip
Congratulations. Your server certificate was properly created.
mv: cannot stat `/etc/nessus/nessusd.conf.tmp': No such file or directory
/etc/nessus/nessusd.conf updated
The following files were created :
. Certification authority :
Certificate = /var/lib/nessus/CA/cacert.pem
Private key = /var/lib/nessus/private/CA/cakey.pem
. Nessus Server :
Certificate = /var/lib/nessus/CA/servercert.pem
Private key = /var/lib/nessus/private/CA/serverkey.pem
--------------------- end snip
... but since /etc/nessus/nessusd.conf is created, I figured that was ok.
I've never edited/altered nessusd.conf before, so it might be possible to alter nessusd behavior to not insist on certificates.
Throughout, it seems like there's a chance I'll find something is unable to write due to read/write permissions limitations (I've found several X-based utilities that don't like everything being owned by root, when I try to save files).
there is a "start nessus" menu option in the kde knoppix menu, you probally have to use that as it may start nessusd with some special options.
nessus-mkcert normally updates the /etc/nessus/nessusd.conf file. On Knoppix, this is a symlink to the KNOPPIX loopback on the CD-ROM, so nessusd.conf is readonly. The nessus-mkcert program cannot update the conf file, but does not report the error.
You can delete the symlink, manually copy the KNOPPIX/etc/nessus/ version of the file, then run nessus-mkcert. This will work.
There is also a 'Start Nessus' menu item under the KDE system on Knoppix. It probably automates these steps - I haven't yet used this.
Nessus does run from the CD if started from the KDE...System...Security menu. Use a user name of knoppix and a password of knoppix. It worked for me, though it seemed slower than usual at scanning.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$288.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50
$140.00