Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Moving files around in knoppix

  1. #1

    Moving files around in knoppix

    I want to mount a windows SMB share over the network (project complete, difficulty - easy) and then have it become an NFS partition so that I can do a netinstall of Slackware with it. The slackware machine needs to be able to mount the NFS server's share (is that the right name for it?) and then install all the linux packages.

    I know it is a weird and twisted path for the data, that goes from wired to wireless network, but that's what I need to accomplish.

    So uhh... how do I get the NFS server started and sharing the SMB mount?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Moving files around in knoppix

    --Uhhhh... D'ya think you could elaborate more on this Rube Goldberg-esque project? Maybe a diagram of what you want to do and why?

    --That said, from what I can make out you might be better off booting Knoppix on the Windows box, mounting whatever partition contains your files to be transferred, put an entry for that directory in /etc/exports, /etc/init.d/portmap start, /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start, /etc/init.d/nfs-common start. Then the files can be transferred direct-NFS instead of some goofy double-network filesystem thing. Of course there's quite a bit more to it than that (network config for one thing) but that's the basic skeleton.

    Quote Originally Posted by kleptophobiac
    I want to mount a windows SMB share over the network (project complete, difficulty - easy) and then have it become an NFS partition so that I can do a netinstall of Slackware with it. The slackware machine needs to be able to mount the NFS server's share (is that the right name for it?) and then install all the linux packages.

    I know it is a weird and twisted path for the data, that goes from wired to wireless network, but that's what I need to accomplish.

    So uhh... how do I get the NFS server started and sharing the SMB mount?

Similar Threads

  1. Moving Files from Knoppix Live to WinXP Pro
    By Girtych in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 02:56 PM
  2. moving Knoppix installation
    By Catscratch in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 01:05 PM
  3. n00b needs help moving files
    By AlanForrester in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:09 AM
  4. Moving up from 3.3 to 3.4
    By liebrand in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 04:28 PM
  5. Moving files..Access Denied
    By tha_raptest in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 08:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99