-
Senior Member
registered user
failed hdd-install (no init found)
Hello group,
I've been trying:
knx-install (2003-06-06-EN)
knoppix-installer (2003-07-24-EN)
both apparently run to completion, but when I reboot,
after the kernel loads, its crashes with the following message:
kernel panic: no init found (try passing init=option to kernel)
Same thing if I try to boot from the floppy prepared by knx-install
Has anyone seen this before?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm getting the same, but my boot disk works.
Using
knx-install (2003-06-06-EN)
I have my suspicions that the version of Lilo is well and truly screwed: old versions of /etc/lilo.conf which used to work fine now throw up really wierd errors. Looks like a case of "it works, let's fix it".
I've tried the init=/etc/init fix someone posted and /sbin/lilo returns a syntax error.
I can't see this as a disk issue as it works fine as a CD and the rest of the install seems OK.
Ideas anyone? (Apart from installing grub!)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Answering my own post, for it may help someone in the future 
The partition to which I initially tried to install was in
the upper 10Gb of a 80Gb HD. It seems this was the cause of
the problem. When I managed to free disk space lower (towards
15 GB), the installation "just worked"! I don't know if lilo
is to blame but apparently the knoppix installer (Fabian's
in my case) is not repsonsible. Go figure...
Similar Threads
-
By aldend123 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-29-2004, 10:19 PM
-
By ManiOne in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
-
By cyber_moron in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-22-2004, 03:41 PM
-
By tortele in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 06:26 PM
-
By berdy in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00