Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: failed hdd-install (no init found)

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    failed hdd-install (no init found)

    Hello group,

    I've been trying:

    knx-install (2003-06-06-EN)
    knoppix-installer (2003-07-24-EN)

    both apparently run to completion, but when I reboot,
    after the kernel loads, its crashes with the following message:

    kernel panic: no init found (try passing init=option to kernel)

    Same thing if I try to boot from the floppy prepared by knx-install
    Has anyone seen this before?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I'm getting the same, but my boot disk works.

    Using

    knx-install (2003-06-06-EN)

    I have my suspicions that the version of Lilo is well and truly screwed: old versions of /etc/lilo.conf which used to work fine now throw up really wierd errors. Looks like a case of "it works, let's fix it".

    I've tried the init=/etc/init fix someone posted and /sbin/lilo returns a syntax error.

    I can't see this as a disk issue as it works fine as a CD and the rest of the install seems OK.

    Ideas anyone? (Apart from installing grub!)


  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Answering my own post, for it may help someone in the future

    The partition to which I initially tried to install was in
    the upper 10Gb of a 80Gb HD. It seems this was the cause of
    the problem. When I managed to free disk space lower (towards
    15 GB), the installation "just worked"! I don't know if lilo
    is to blame but apparently the knoppix installer (Fabian's
    in my case) is not repsonsible. Go figure...

Similar Threads

  1. v3.7 failed boot, "no init found"
    By aldend123 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 10:19 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
  3. no init found
    By cyber_moron in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 03:41 PM
  4. kernel 2.6 no init found on hd install
    By tortele in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 06:26 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU

$99.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields. picture

Compo MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC LGA1151 16 Gb DDR4 + Cpu I7 6700+I/O Shields.

$159.00