Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: WLAN and DHCP troubles

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2

    WLAN and DHCP troubles

    Hello,

    I am running knoppix off of CDROM and am attempting to get my Linksys WPC51AB wireless LAN card to connect to the network. The card is not detected by knoppix, but I can manually load the drivers, at which time the wlcardconfig utility detects it and will apply the settings I specify.

    My problem is that I am not able to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server/Linksys Broadband Router on my network. If I manually configure an IP, I can ping the DHCP server, but if I just bring up the interface (or manually restart networking or manually restart pcmcia services), it does not grab an IP. When I do a iwconfig, it lists the router's proper MAC address as its Access Point so I know it sees it.

    Stupid question-- how can I manually force my WLAN interface go out and search for an IP? On other linux distros I have used "dhcpcd" or "dhcclient" but cannot find either in knoppix.

    Stupid question #2-- the wlanconfig utility finds the NIC fine once I load the drivers, however the netcardconfig utility still says it finds no supported cards. Is this normal when your Wifi is the only NIC, and if so, is there a utility to configure IP address settings for wifi cards?

    Sorry for such a long post, thanks in advance...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: WLAN and DHCP troubles

    Quote Originally Posted by odrade
    Hello,

    I am running knoppix off of CDROM and am attempting to get my Linksys WPC51AB wireless LAN card to connect to the network. The card is not detected by knoppix, but I can manually load the drivers, at which time the wlcardconfig utility detects it and will apply the settings I specify.

    My problem is that I am not able to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server/Linksys Broadband Router on my network. If I manually configure an IP, I can ping the DHCP server, but if I just bring up the interface (or manually restart networking or manually restart pcmcia services), it does not grab an IP. When I do a iwconfig, it lists the router's proper MAC address as its Access Point so I know it sees it.

    Stupid question-- how can I manually force my WLAN interface go out and search for an IP? On other linux distros I have used "dhcpcd" or "dhcclient" but cannot find either in knoppix.
    Knoppix uses pump.

    Stupid question #2-- the wlanconfig utility finds the NIC fine once I load the drivers, however the netcardconfig utility still says it finds no supported cards. Is this normal when your Wifi is the only NIC, and if so, is there a utility to configure IP address settings for wifi cards?

    Sorry for such a long post, thanks in advance...
    Do you mean "wlcardconfig"? I don't know what wlanconfig is.

    Netcardconfig won't give you listings for wireless cards.

    Besides wlcardconfig you can use iwconfig to configure your card.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2
    Sorry, 'wlcardconfig' of course. Thanks for the info on pump! I have tried to use iwconfig to configure my settings, but for some reason it doesn't save any changes I make (maybe because I am running off of CDROM?) I have only been able to change wifi settings through wlcardconfig. Thnkas again for your response.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 03:11 AM
  2. Cd rom troubles
    By DusteD in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 03:45 PM
  3. ok, it's on my hd, I have app-get troubles. a better way?
    By cameik in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 01:35 AM
  4. USB troubles
    By cold in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 08:51 PM
  5. Filesystem troubles
    By PyroBoy101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 11:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59