-
WLAN and DHCP troubles
Hello,
I am running knoppix off of CDROM and am attempting to get my Linksys WPC51AB wireless LAN card to connect to the network. The card is not detected by knoppix, but I can manually load the drivers, at which time the wlcardconfig utility detects it and will apply the settings I specify.
My problem is that I am not able to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server/Linksys Broadband Router on my network. If I manually configure an IP, I can ping the DHCP server, but if I just bring up the interface (or manually restart networking or manually restart pcmcia services), it does not grab an IP. When I do a iwconfig, it lists the router's proper MAC address as its Access Point so I know it sees it.
Stupid question-- how can I manually force my WLAN interface go out and search for an IP? On other linux distros I have used "dhcpcd" or "dhcclient" but cannot find either in knoppix.
Stupid question #2-- the wlanconfig utility finds the NIC fine once I load the drivers, however the netcardconfig utility still says it finds no supported cards. Is this normal when your Wifi is the only NIC, and if so, is there a utility to configure IP address settings for wifi cards?
Sorry for such a long post, thanks in advance...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: WLAN and DHCP troubles

Originally Posted by
odrade
Hello,
I am running knoppix off of CDROM and am attempting to get my Linksys WPC51AB wireless LAN card to connect to the network. The card is not detected by knoppix, but I can manually load the drivers, at which time the wlcardconfig utility detects it and will apply the settings I specify.
My problem is that I am not able to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server/Linksys Broadband Router on my network. If I manually configure an IP, I can ping the DHCP server, but if I just bring up the interface (or manually restart networking or manually restart pcmcia services), it does not grab an IP. When I do a iwconfig, it lists the router's proper MAC address as its Access Point so I know it sees it.
Stupid question-- how can I manually force my WLAN interface go out and search for an IP? On other linux distros I have used "dhcpcd" or "dhcclient" but cannot find either in knoppix.
Knoppix uses pump.
Stupid question #2-- the wlanconfig utility finds the NIC fine once I load the drivers, however the netcardconfig utility still says it finds no supported cards. Is this normal when your Wifi is the only NIC, and if so, is there a utility to configure IP address settings for wifi cards?
Sorry for such a long post, thanks in advance...
Do you mean "wlcardconfig"? I don't know what wlanconfig is.
Netcardconfig won't give you listings for wireless cards.
Besides wlcardconfig you can use iwconfig to configure your card.
-
Sorry, 'wlcardconfig' of course. Thanks for the info on pump! I have tried to use iwconfig to configure my settings, but for some reason it doesn't save any changes I make (maybe because I am running off of CDROM?) I have only been able to change wifi settings through wlcardconfig. Thnkas again for your response.
Similar Threads
-
By knop in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-30-2005, 03:11 AM
-
By DusteD in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-28-2004, 03:45 PM
-
By cameik in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-01-2004, 01:35 AM
-
By cold in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-03-2004, 08:51 PM
-
By PyroBoy101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00