Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: New LILO 99 problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale, USA
    Posts
    5

    New LILO 99 problem

    Using W98 on one drive, used second HD (not partition) to do a hard install with knx-hdintall. The install went without problem, although I did not understand what actually happened with LILO. Upon reboot, I got 99's half way down the screen.

    I was able to load K with the boot disk, but unable to load windows with its boot disk, I got the messeage "unbable to proceed VFAT missing" or something to that effect.

    I decided to restore W98 and when it rebooted a LILO OS option screen came on!! I opted to start W98 and just had to reset all options from the restore.

    I shut down and tried now to load K from the LILO screen and the loading was going well until stopped at the following:

    VFS. cannot open root device 1641 or 16:41
    Please append a correct "root=" option
    Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root on 16:41

    I need help!! I am going on 5 hours since I began the K hard install and I am going crazy. I know less than a noobie. Heeeeelp!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Can you please post your /etc/lilo.conf

    For what it's worth, mine which boots SuSE and Knoppix is:

    boot = /dev/hda
    change-rules
    reset
    read-only
    menu-scheme = Wg:kw:Wg:Wg
    lba32
    prompt
    timeout = 80
    message = /boot/message

    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    label = SuSE
    root = /dev/hdc3
    vga = 791
    initrd = /boot/initrd
    append = " hdb=ide-scsi"

    image = /boot/vmlinuz.suse
    label = failsafe
    root = /dev/hdc3
    vga = 791
    initrd = /boot/initrd.suse
    append = "ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off hdb=ide-scsi"
    optional

    image = /boot/memtest.bin
    label = memtest86

    image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
    label=Debian
    root = /dev/hda3
    vga = 791
    initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
    append = "hdb=ide-scsi"

    You might like to take a peek, edit yours as appropriate and run /sbin/lilo to write it. Do keep a back up of the old one, though!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale, USA
    Posts
    5
    I appreciate your reply, but I belive the problem is that a second partition was not done in hdb for the swap file when I did the knx-hdinstall. I was able to boot up using the cd and I couln't see the partion for the swap file.

    In addition, there is no /etc/lilo.conf, only /etc/lilo.conf.old ! But when I boot up I do get a red LILO box with the option to boot into Linux or W98! Go figure.

    I have spent so much time on this that if I have the same problem as before, I don't want to reinstall W98 and all the programs I also had to reinstall.

    I am going to stop for the time being, purchase a box w/o OS this weekend and install Knoppix on it.

    Now, how can I get rid of LILO if I can't find /etc/lilo.conf or at least make W98 the default OS in the LILO screen?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Now, how can I get rid of LILO if I can't find /etc/lilo.conf or at least make W98 the default OS in the LILO screen?
    Boot from a the boot floppy you made during the install of win98 and fdisk /mbr to repair the Master Boot Record and you should now be able to boot to win98 as usual.

Similar Threads

  1. Having problem with lilo
    By greyshark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 08:00 PM
  2. LILO problem
    By shadinio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 05:07 PM
  3. lilo Problem
    By saden1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 07:12 PM
  4. Lilo Problem
    By Xylene in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 12:07 AM
  5. Lilo problem
    By milenbo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2003, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$305.01



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$99.00



Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick

$165.90