-
New LILO 99 problem
Using W98 on one drive, used second HD (not partition) to do a hard install with knx-hdintall. The install went without problem, although I did not understand what actually happened with LILO. Upon reboot, I got 99's half way down the screen.
I was able to load K with the boot disk, but unable to load windows with its boot disk, I got the messeage "unbable to proceed VFAT missing" or something to that effect.
I decided to restore W98 and when it rebooted a LILO OS option screen came on!! I opted to start W98 and just had to reset all options from the restore.
I shut down and tried now to load K from the LILO screen and the loading was going well until stopped at the following:
VFS. cannot open root device 1641 or 16:41
Please append a correct "root=" option
Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root on 16:41
I need help!! I am going on 5 hours since I began the K hard install and I am going crazy. I know less than a noobie. Heeeeelp!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can you please post your /etc/lilo.conf
For what it's worth, mine which boots SuSE and Knoppix is:
boot = /dev/hda
change-rules
reset
read-only
menu-scheme = Wg:kw:Wg:Wg
lba32
prompt
timeout = 80
message = /boot/message
image = /boot/vmlinuz
label = SuSE
root = /dev/hdc3
vga = 791
initrd = /boot/initrd
append = " hdb=ide-scsi"
image = /boot/vmlinuz.suse
label = failsafe
root = /dev/hdc3
vga = 791
initrd = /boot/initrd.suse
append = "ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off hdb=ide-scsi"
optional
image = /boot/memtest.bin
label = memtest86
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
label=Debian
root = /dev/hda3
vga = 791
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
append = "hdb=ide-scsi"
You might like to take a peek, edit yours as appropriate and run /sbin/lilo to write it. Do keep a back up of the old one, though!
-
I appreciate your reply, but I belive the problem is that a second partition was not done in hdb for the swap file when I did the knx-hdinstall. I was able to boot up using the cd and I couln't see the partion for the swap file.
In addition, there is no /etc/lilo.conf, only /etc/lilo.conf.old ! But when I boot up I do get a red LILO box with the option to boot into Linux or W98! Go figure.
I have spent so much time on this that if I have the same problem as before, I don't want to reinstall W98 and all the programs I also had to reinstall.
I am going to stop for the time being, purchase a box w/o OS this weekend and install Knoppix on it.
Now, how can I get rid of LILO if I can't find /etc/lilo.conf or at least make W98 the default OS in the LILO screen?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Now, how can I get rid of LILO if I can't find /etc/lilo.conf or at least make W98 the default OS in the LILO screen?
Boot from a the boot floppy you made during the install of win98 and fdisk /mbr to repair the Master Boot Record and you should now be able to boot to win98 as usual.
Similar Threads
-
By greyshark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-24-2005, 08:00 PM
-
By shadinio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 05:07 PM
-
By saden1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 07:12 PM
-
By Xylene in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-12-2003, 12:07 AM
-
By milenbo in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New
$185.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$299.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch
$499.99

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99

Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping
$22.99

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99