Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Why didn't someone tell me this sooner?!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    33

    Why didn't someone tell me this sooner?!

    I have a collection of mp3s made from my music cds; this way I save wear and tear on the cds themselves. I was listening to some of them last night on xmms, which is the first time I've used it (it's been so difficult to find a distro that configures my sound card). Some of them actually sound better than they did on Windows! And I'd listened to them with WMP, Musicmatch and Winamp. And they sound better than when played straight off the cd too!

    All i can say is Wow! I'm both amazed and delighted.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    So.....now that you've "seen the light" go and tell all the others still trapped in winbondage so that they can experience a real os too!

    Oh and BTW- try out .ogg instead of mp3. It's open source of course and has better sound.
    How do you make .oggs? Couldn't be easier.

    AS root:

    apt-get install abcde
    (A Better CD Encoder)

    Then just cd to the directory you want your .oggs in (make a new folder perhaps) and do abcde It will not only rip the tracks from your cd it will convert them to .ogg's all without any intervention by you whatsoever.

    Yes- XMMS plays .oggs too.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    33
    Cool! Thanks for the tip!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I'll throw my vote in for Grip, apt-get install grip it will rip to ogg also.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    Ogg may be good but it won,t play on my car player,mobile phone and memory stick which plays mp3s

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by bongski55
    Ogg may be good but it won,t play on my car player,mobile phone and memory stick which plays mp3s
    Their on the way you will soon be able use linux on all your devices.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    three eyes open,

    I like your location! But if you're coming from windows you may have been coming from hell! Anyway, glad you're enjoying Knoppix. Download it, use it, break it, have fun.

    Adam

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    33
    Lol! Well, I wouldn't say it's actually Hell, but you can see it from here.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2

    XMMS/AOL/SMB

    First off, I agree that for some reason, mp3's just sound better from xmms.

    Also, I'd like to mention that I used knoppix for the first time yesterday in a work related sence. A company wanted an entire hdd backed up to another computer over thier network. The previous employee had been fired and they were moving his computer off into storage. I was faced with a win2k/ntfs machine which I had no passwords to. Easy enough to do the 'regular' way via the recovery console, but I decided to pop in knoppix, browse the network, and upload the entire hdd in a flash.

    Knoppix is a great tool. I know this was mentioned in the suggestions, but it would be *perfect* for me to evalagenize (?) my friends with if it had an AOL dialer in there.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692

    Re: XMMS/AOL/SMB

    Quote Originally Posted by Q3Man
    I know this was mentioned in the suggestions, but it would be *perfect* for me to evalagenize (?) my friends with if it had an AOL dialer in there.
    And I could use a NetZero dialer, being the cheapskate that I am. Consequently, all my web browsing is done in Windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD

$95.00



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59