-
Senior Member
registered user
<<<Then just cd to the directory you want your .oggs in (make a new folder perhaps) and do abcde It will not only rip the tracks from your cd it will convert them to .ogg's all without any intervention by you whatsoever. >>>>.
OK, big question from a dual/booting XP/Knoppix user.
In Nero, it will convert mp3s back to standard audio tracks when copying back to a CD.
Does abcde or grip do that?
sakiZ
-
Senior Member
registered user
In Nero, it will convert mp3s back to standard audio tracks when copying back to a CD.
Does abcde or grip do that?
abcde and grip are CD audio rippers similar in concept to windows ExactAudioCopy and CDEX. Nero is a cd burning program which contains a decoder to convert the compressed audio to standard CD audio so that it can be properly burned. Linux has many simialr CD burning programs, one of which is K3b (included in Knoppix) and yes it can convert from MP3 to WAV or OGG to WAV on the fly.
I hope this helps.
James
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
sakiZ
In Nero, it will convert mp3s back to standard audio tracks when copying back to a CD.
Does abcde or grip do that?
An important consideration in burning audio CD's, particularly from mp3 but also to a lesser extent for WAV files, is that the resulting tracks are no where near the quality of the original audio tracks (they are actually less than the quality of the mp3). You do get a standard audio CD again, you do not get back the original quality. It's always best to avoid this conversion when burning if you can.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks Underscore
Thanks for the info on mp3 to CD. I really have yet to play with this, having used K3B only for copying CDs so far.
If I try it and discover the sound quality is too deteriorated, well........then I won't go there. 
Sounds good.
sakiZ
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
sakiZ
In Nero, it will convert mp3s back to standard audio tracks when copying back to a CD.
Does abcde or grip do that?
An important consideration in burning audio CD's, particularly from mp3 but also to a lesser extent for WAV files, is that the resulting tracks are no where near the quality of the original audio tracks (they are actually less than the quality of the mp3). You do get a standard audio CD again, you do not get back the original quality. It's always best to avoid this conversion when burning if you can.
Any process that uses "compression" will get you this... As Harry states... OOG for audio, and JPEG for images... I used to edit "production" images...
A trick was to take a "starting" image, I will use pictures for this example, save it as a JPG, then edit that saved image, re-save it as a JPG, and repeat this process, lets say, five times. Now, compare the "original" to the last saved "image" - even with 99% retention, you will still notice that some "clarity" is missing. This holds true with sound files as well. A "purist" will be able to "notice" sound missing, but, most, will not notice that "drastic" a change.
If you are going to "master" something, the best is to save it with NO compression, either the format, or the process, and use only non-compressed images, or sound files, when doing a "copy" to another. The other option is "direct copy", in which the source is directly transfered to the target, with absolutly no compression or conversions being made on the process. ( and even then, some "detail" is being lost )
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: XMMS/AOL/SMB

Originally Posted by
j.drake

Originally Posted by
Q3Man
I know this was mentioned in the suggestions, but it would be *perfect* for me to evalagenize (?) my friends with if it had an AOL dialer in there.
And I could use a NetZero dialer, being the cheapskate that I am.

Consequently, all my web browsing is done in Windows.
if your truly cheap like me you will run and hide from windows... it costs nearly $100 just so u can get the thing but it has so many bugs you cant tell which end is up! thats why i have left windows almost indefinitly!
-
cool i myself was not able to find something to rip music from cd onto the hd...
thnx verry mutch for this info!!! a quick search does it again...
-
Re: XMMS/AOL/SMB

Originally Posted by
j.drake

Originally Posted by
Q3Man
I know this was mentioned in the suggestions, but it would be *perfect* for me to evalagenize (?) my friends with if it had an AOL dialer in there.
And I could use a NetZero dialer, being the cheapskate that I am.

Consequently, all my web browsing is done in Windows.
Not using Linux to cruz the 'net? Huh?
You're missing out on one of Linux's biggest advantages: internet security! Seriously, if Knoppix works with your modem (and unless it's a winmodem like I was using, it probably will) you should be using Knoppix to access the net, not Windoze. For months I was forced to use XP to access the net, and inspite of all of XP's "security" enhancements and AVG's daily virus updates, I still picked up a virus less than a week after a clean install! I finally got around to buying an external 56k modem on eBay (for $18 including shipping) and I'm -real- happy I did!
Seriously, you should dump AOL or even NetZero if it doesn't support Linux. There are -LOTS- of ISP's that will match or beat NetZero's deal. I'm using "FlexNet" here in the US ($9.95/month), and theres a $7.95 a month deal on the Damn Small Linux website ( http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/nicrevival.html ) that I've been tempted to switch to.
I'm also getting faster throughput on my dialup, don't know why but I've tested it a couple of times and it always shows about the same results, my throughput under Linux is about 20% faster.
Plus you won't have to worry about all those %$#!# "security updates" and "virus updates" that come with using Windoze.
Just my 2 bits
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: XMMS/AOL/SMB
A person would have to be made to go online in Windows i recon, especially with IE ...
There is just, heaps of choice when it comes to Linux browsers.
Just for interest ....
Go into your IE in windows, and delete your page cache, and cookie cache. Then reboot into your Linux and mount your windows C:\ drive. And navigate down into the windows directory. Or its' equive ...
go into the "Tempoary Internet Files" directory. Ha ! still there !!!!
And all the cookies will still be in the cookies directory ....
Trust Windows (grin)
and Riding Hood asks her famous questions ....
jm
Code:
-:- If the system is the answer, then the question
must have been really stupid -:-
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

• Authentic TUMI 96081D4 Black Leather Daypack Travel Laptop Backpack - Vintage
$175.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition
$199.99

Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested.
$350.00

Vintage Original Hercules Graphics Card ISA 8-Bit - GB102 Rev B (1985) Untested
$85.00

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector
$50.00

Vintage 3.5” Floppy Disk Storage Cases With Key 127 Rainbow Colored Disks
$59.99

Vintage Intel iPDS-100 Personal Development System
$1499.99

Corel Draw 3 Vintage Big Box Version Brand New Sealed CD-ROM Vintage Software
$49.00