-
partition icons on the desktop
Hello all,
Just a quick question: When I install knoppix to my hdd I seem to lose one of the coolest parts of the GUI boot which was the automatic detection of partitions which in turn put an icon for each partition on my kde screen. How do I get this functionality back?
Thanks
-
Forget it, found out I have to:
"As root do 'rebuildfstab' (without qoutes).
then as user 'mkdesktophdicons'.
This will make your desktop icons look the same as a CD based."
Sorry about asking first and searching later.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ferreter
Forget it, found out I have to:
"As root do 'rebuildfstab' (without qoutes).
then as user 'mkdesktophdicons'.
This will make your desktop icons look the same as a CD based."
Sorry about asking first and searching later.

NP. The new installer actually takes care of this problem. Just make sure you use knoppix-installer and not knx-hdinstall.
-
That worked for me also.
I am getting this message when I try my cdrom:
"Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist. "
Also I don't have any icon for my cd burner. Knoppix detected prior to hdinstall.
Any Ideas???
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
FelixDzerzhinsky
That worked for me also.
I am getting this message when I try my cdrom:
"Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist. "
Also I don't have any icon for my cd burner. Knoppix detected prior to hdinstall.
Any Ideas???
Thanks
Check your /etc/fstab. Sounds like there is the mount point for your cdrom is not /mnt/cdrom but something else - possibly /cdrom.
-

Originally Posted by
FelixDzerzhinsky
Also I don't have any icon for my cd burner. Knoppix detected prior to hdinstall.
I solved this by running K3b Setup (K-menu -> System). This will create the entries in /etc/fstab. You can then create the icons on the desktop.
HTH
- - Edwin
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
FelixDzerzhinsky
That worked for me also.
I am getting this message when I try my cdrom:
"Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist. "
Also I don't have any icon for my cd burner. Knoppix detected prior to hdinstall.
Any Ideas???
Thanks
Assuming you cdrom is the first device in the /etc/fstab.
Code:
/dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd1 /burner iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
You will have to make the mount point /burner as root in the / directory (mkdir burner) for this to work. If the burner is the first device then change the order to suit. After you modify the fstab you just have to right click on the desktop and create an icon for the burner.
-
You mentioned how to get a cd burner going, well my HD install seems to have all the entries in fstab (as cdrom1) by default. But again no desktop icon or easy way to access it. Funny the knx boot CD detects it just fine.
fstab:
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ferreter
You mentioned how to get a cd burner going, well my HD install seems to have all the entries in fstab (as cdrom1) by default. But again no desktop icon or easy way to access it. Funny the knx boot CD detects it just fine.
fstab:
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0
If the mount point /cdrom1 and /dev/cdrom1 actually exits on the system then right click on the desktop and choose Create New -> CD/DVD Device when the dialog comes up select the proper device in the device tab then select OK to create the icon.
Note: If the /dev/cdrom1 and /cdrom1 do not exist then you should use the scd1 line from my post above and create a mount point for it.
-
Thanks, I'll look into that when I get home then
Similar Threads
-
By michael7 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-07-2005, 05:26 AM
-
By eon in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 10-11-2004, 09:11 PM
-
By oldgeezer in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 05-24-2004, 06:46 AM
-
By Carlos_E_Morimoto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-05-2003, 08:37 AM
-
By skyconcert in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-20-2002, 05:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D
$142.50

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99