Managed to boot from the CD
During logout, removed the CD and hit Enter
nothing happens
reboot to WinXP
my God!!!
missing operating sytem
unable to boot to WinXP
Pop in Knoppix CD and all my hda - lost interrupts
Used a bootable CD to DOS and no hard disk is detected
BIOS detects my hard disk though
checked the cables are secured and reboot
Finally WinXP appears but screen resolution is fixed at 800x600 4 bits
Reboot to safe mode, changed screen settings and reboot
still no good
shutdown system and boot
remove display adapter and reboot
reinstall nvidia drivers and all is well
dispaly card is 4MX440 and was using beta drivers and Knoppix detects the card
going to try booting to Knoppix without using beta drivers and see whether I can reboot to WinXP
thanks for the linkOriginally Posted by Tortoise
I am no alone
Well did the advice there help? Particularly the part about changing the boot order. Also try unpluging the machine, holding the power button in for 10 seconds, then putting the power back in and trying to boot windows. I know it sounds strange, but as I recall some others with this problem found that this helped.
No, I couldn't boot to WinXP. Used a bootable CD to try to boot to DOS and DOS couldn't detect my hard disk although it was detected by BIOS. Tried switching the display card to another one and had the same problem.Originally Posted by aay
Apparently Knoppix corrupted my hard disk somehow, and I lost my WinXP's updates. Had to reinstall about 7 updates. Changed my version of DirectX to 8 instead of DirectX 9.0b. Booting to WinXP works (but I didn't find the cause) but it is slow. A black screen shows now when booting.

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99