-
Senior Member
registered user
C drive (NTFS) not available in CD-Booted Knoppix (HP box)
Edited to clarify 8-4-03.
Problem: I boot from Knoppix CD, and the C: drive (NTFS) is not available to me. HDa1 is the drive D: recovery drive (FAT 32). HDb1 is the G: HD (NTFS). There is no HDa2. Both optical drives are available, as is the memory stick (provided that the stick is loaded in the slot).
My Hardware: I have an HP Pavilion computer (Pavilion 735n) that's approximately 6 months old, which came with an 80 MB HD, WinXP preinstalled. I'm not yet ready to jump to Linux, so I want to preserve the original configuration for now. So far, I am running Knoppix off the CD. For those of you unfamiliar with newer HPs, there are no backup CDs, and the factory HD is partitioned. The main partition is formatted in NTFS, and serves as my C: drive in Windows. The other partition contains all of the system recovery files, and is hooked into a system recovery utility, in case the registry gets corrupted or I do something stupid. This second partition with the recovery stuff is formatted in FAT32, and defined in Windows as D:. Drive letters E: and F: represent a DVD+R/RW and a CD-ROM drive, respectively. G: is an 80GB NTFS HD that I added. H: and I: are for photo flash ROMs (e.g., Sony Memory Stick).
Hypothesis: I have heard that Linux does not like having an NTFS drive contain the MBR, and that if you want to install Linux on a hard drive and select your boot option at power up, you have to have a FAT32 partition containing your MBR. I had assumed that since I was booting from CD, and Knoppix was not on the HD, that this would not be an issue. What I don't understand is why G: (an NTFS drive) is available and C: is not. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the MBR being on C:, but I don't understand why that is a problem when booting from CD.
Any ideas or suggestions?
If I have to partition the main drive to define another FAT32 partition for the MBR (which I may eventually do anyway if I get comfortable with Linux), can anyone recommend a good step-by-step? I'm a little bit reluctant to do anything to change the factory default Windows drive letter designations, in case I ever do have to recover the HD - I don't want it to barf if it's looking for C: or D:, but they are redefined as X: and Y:, for example. If I have room in D:, can I move the MBR there (since it's FAT32)? Can anyone foresee a problem with that?
Thanks for any and all help.
Similar Threads
-
By tunasashimi in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-13-2005, 03:33 AM
-
By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
-
By Bothersome in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-07-2004, 10:53 PM
-
By dvd in forum General Support
Replies: 20
Last Post: 09-05-2004, 10:19 PM
-
By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD
$87.96