Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Boot problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    3

    Boot problem

    Hi everyone,

    I have the lastest release of Knoppix (07/26/2003) and it doesn't want to boot on my computer :
    P4C 2.4GHz (HyperThreading enabled)
    2x512Mo DDR400 (Dual mode)
    CM Asus P4P800 Deluxe (raid disabled)
    2 HDD IBM IDE
    1 DVD Pioneer IDE
    1 Burner Philips IDE

    Knoppix detects 2 CPU at the beginning and then I got the following error message :
    APM BIOS found, power management function enabled
    apmd[60] : main() : apm-open() failed : no such device

    I tried to disable ACPI 2.0 support in my BIOS but the problem stay the same.

    Thus, I also tried the failsafe mode but unhappily nothing better : booting goes a little further but the system hangs up after HDD mounting. Then if I hit the Enter key, I got a strange CPU dump.

    Could you help me resolving this problem ?
    Thanks.

    PS : the CD works fine with my other PC PIII-500.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Have you tried the cheat codes noapm, nosmp and noapic does the apm work when you use the disk on the old P3 also have you tried knoppix testcd at the boot: prompt.

    BTW there is a Knoppix France you may want to check also.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    3
    Yes, the CD works perfectly.
    I've just found an issue to this problem : if I disable the APM (Advanced Power Management) in the BIOS, everything works fine... except the fact that HyperThreading is disabled in this case.
    I have the error message : Error : only one CPU found.

    Well, at least Knoppix is working ! I'll try to update my motherboard bios to see if something will change.

    Thanks for Knoppix France link but there aren't as much skillfull people as here (and I can also use the little english I know).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    3
    I took the latest bios 1009 on Asus website and everything is OK now I'm writing with Knoppix right now.
    Too bad, the integrated 3COM gigabit ethernet card 3C2000 wasn't detected so I had to compile the linux drivers.
    Well, I think I'm going to make some tests

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Good to hear you got it going, I can only wish I knew as little French as you do English it looks good enough to me.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot problem
    By wolfsta in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 01:06 AM
  2. Yes,another boot problem
    By Gemantra in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 07:30 AM
  3. USB Boot problem
    By codeforge in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 05:06 PM
  4. boot problem
    By Braese in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 06:37 PM
  5. Another boot from CD problem
    By capate in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99