Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Dial up problem.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    3

    Dial up problem.

    I have an ethernet card in my machine which connects with my wife's machine. Her's is set up as 192.168.0.1, this one is 192.168.0.2. I also have a modem in both machines. When knoppix boots up it finds the ethernet card and says we're gonna use that come hell or high water. I had the same problem with Mandrake and finally found the solution there in the set up.

    Now under knoppix these things I did under Mandrake don't work.

    route -n #this finds the IP address I am dialled into
    route del default
    route add default gw x.x.x.x #(x.x.x.x is what was found above)

    would always work to get me out on the internet after I have dialled up.

    This does not do the job under knoppix, even tho it says it has done right. I know it is Debian, so what is different that I have to do under it?????

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Dial up problem.

    --Sounds like an overly-complex way of getting around a problem... (But then again, I've never gotten route commands to work.) What are you using to dial? wvdial, kppp? As long as you're the only one using the Internet and the browser is set for "direct connection to the internet" you shouldn't need to mess with route commands.

    --Another way of approaching this problem is to make 1 machine an Internet dialup / proxy cache server. This is how I have my network setup: You can modify /etc/ppp/options for dial-on-demand whether it's using phone-modem or dynamic-IP DSL. Then setup Squid proxy cache (which speeds up things a great deal for multiple accesses *and* allows a bunch of machines to all use the Internet at the same time) and point all browsers to servermachine:3128. You can also set some environment variables so that commands like wget and apt-get all point to the proxy.

    --If you allocate enough disk space to Squid (I typically give it at least a gig and a half and modify the config file to retain large files) you can speed up Windows updates and apt-get updates for multiple machines, cuz they all find the files in the web cache after the 1st update.

    --Yeah, yah, I know, not what you were expecting. But Squid is one of the best uses of my Linux box that I know of. If you want further help on this kind of solution I'll be glad to send you my config files and help out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne W
    I have an ethernet card in my machine which connects with my wife's machine. Her's is set up as 192.168.0.1, this one is 192.168.0.2. I also have a modem in both machines. When knoppix boots up it finds the ethernet card and says we're gonna use that come hell or high water. I had the same problem with Mandrake and finally found the solution there in the set up.

    Now under knoppix these things I did under Mandrake don't work.

    route -n #this finds the IP address I am dialled into
    route del default
    route add default gw x.x.x.x #(x.x.x.x is what was found above)

    would always work to get me out on the internet after I have dialled up.

    This does not do the job under knoppix, even tho it says it has done right. I know it is Debian, so what is different that I have to do under it?????

Similar Threads

  1. WIERD Dial Up Problem, HELP?!?
    By bigkahuna in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 09:35 AM
  2. How to configure dial up?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 05:09 AM
  3. Flonix dial-up
    By oldgeezer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 01:57 PM
  4. Dial Up Internet
    By waynejkruse10 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-25-2003, 11:50 PM
  5. how to dial....
    By shadowcAt in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 05:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5  2x6248R  24 core 3.0G   24x64g DDR4-2933 ram picture

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram

$112000.00



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08