-
problems burning pc knoppix image with mac os x
Hello. As a favor I told my friend that I would help him rid himself of the festing horrible mess which is what we call windows. I downloaded knoppix (and some other distros) and am having trouble burning the image onto a cd.
Toast will not load the image and burn it as a bootable cd. When using the mount disc image option, I go utilities> mount disc image> and I then select the image. It does nothing. It literally sits there. (and yes I am using the most current version of toast. I have also tried an older version). What I have been doing is loading the image using disk copy and then either dragging the image into toast or selecting the contents of the mounted image and dragging them into the toast window. There is no blatant option of burning an iso 9960 so i select mac os and pc disc (hybrid) and burn away. The burns do not boot. Every time I get a "Operating system not found error."
I realized that it could be toast's fault and decided to try "blaze" which is a very straightforward cd burning app. It has a check box for iso 9960. I figured this was a good thing. I tried also loading the iso into it and asking it to burn an image. No good. So I've used the disc copy method I described earlier to attempt at burning a cd. No good. "Operating system not found." I burned a joilet cd just for fun and it didnt work.
I have tried burning at maximum and 4x speeds with different brands of cds. A few things I should mention are:
I did manage to burn a bootable knoppix cd using nero under windows when 2000 was loaded on it. I was able to load the iso into nero and burn away. This is the only 'good' cd I have. When I attempt to hd install there are a bunch of read errors off the cd. I have to restart.
I did upgrade the bios (the pc knoppix cd and the old red hat cd both ran before the bios update, and after). It seems in perfect working order.
I do have an ancient red hat cd that will boot. What most confuses me is the difference in a burn from mac to windows. This seems to be my issue. Of course, I'm not half as smart as half of you out there. But, can anyone try to shed some light on this for me? It's baffling.
Now when I boot up I'm getting the knoppix desktop but it shuts down when I hit ctrl+alt+F1 or just for fun after the os loads. This sucks.
Similar Threads
-
By colonius in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-04-2004, 07:17 PM
-
By dast in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-24-2004, 05:26 PM
-
By BearCreek in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-31-2004, 05:33 PM
-
By William Denyer in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-09-2003, 02:33 AM
-
By astormchaser in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$22.99

Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY
$32.99

OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y
$36.66

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515
$22.00

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade
$39.99

Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New
$33.50

OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR
$37.40