Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Which TV card to buy ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252

    Which TV card to buy ?

    Which TV card to buy ?

    Different TV cards are available on the market.

    But what I don't read anywhere is how well they work under knoppix.

    Can any of you add to this forum which card you've used,which knoppix version you use,how well it worked,and what you've done to make it work ?

    I am talking about the livecd versions ,NOT the hd-installation !

    Thank you very,very,very much for sharing you experiences in this matter.

    Koen....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Koen,

    I have been using the Pinnacle PCTV studio card (bought on ebay new for $35) and it works great with Knoppix. I have also heard good things about the Hauppage WinTV cards, but I have no experience with them.

    I have used the PCTV card while running the live cd version of Knoppix. In fact, if I have to do a hard drive install, I usually boot up the live cd to the desktop, copy over my xawtv configuration file, and watch TV using the XawTV viewing utility while I'm installing knoppix to my hard drive. Try doing that with any other distribution! Makes me laugh everytime!

    The big thing you will want to know with any TV card you purchase is if it uses the BrookTrout (bttv) chipset. AFAIK linux, and specifically video for linux, does not really care about specific models as much as it cares about that.

    You will have to run a configuration utility to set up all the channels, but after you are done, it will create a configuration file you can save and use over again. For xawtv this is .xawtv, a hidden file in your home directory.

    Hope this information is helpful.

    Regards,

    ~paul

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I have also used the cheapo ATI AIW LE and it works nicely. Knoppix is pretty incredible, you can actually watch TV on your computer while you are doing an OS install.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    24
    I use PCTV get it cheap on ebay $30 - $35, pretty good with xawtv, by default knoppix uses european TV setting, if you are in the US, U have to manually configure xawtv before you can watch TV.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ozark Mts, USA
    Posts
    33

    Hauppauge TV Card.

    My Hauppauge WinTV GO ($50 at OfficeMax) works great.
    The default Europeon problem goes away with 3 clicks:
    1 TV norm - NTSC
    2 Freq. table - us-bcast
    and, assuming you have a pesistent home
    3 Save

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139
    I have a Pinnacle PCTV Rave card that I got for $15. It works great in XP, but when I choose to auto configure it under knoppix it finds no channels and then the system hard locks when it tries to run the tuner application.

    I'm just curious if you used the auto configure settings for your pinnacle card. Mine's got a BT848akpf and the tuner is "Front end 4032 FY5 Temic 3X9 499"
    (I've only tried it with knoppix 7.26.03 because I just got the card)

    A picture of the card can be seen here:
    http://www.matos2000.com/Cv/Tv/miro-...ages/carte.jpg

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139
    I tried some manual configuration of the card.
    insmod i2c-core
    insmod i2c-dev
    insmod i2c-algo-bit
    insmod i2c-proc
    insmod videodev
    insmod bttv card=39 tuner=6
    The card is detected and tuner as well.
    scantv
    (all channels say that there was no station)
    Finally it gets to t1, t2, t3 and the whole system locks up.
    I tried in 2 different computers one laptop with docking station and a desktop system with a soyo sy7vca (via 686 chipset)

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139
    Just doing
    modprobe bttv card=39 tuner=6

    does the same thing.

    Also having a similar problem with the card with rh9 but I got it to work twice. Just magically started working.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 02:23 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$354.48



Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95 picture

Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95

$119.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00