Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: New patching program released!

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    13

    New patching program released!

    I have just written a new paching program.
    Once a patch set is made, distribute the patch set.

    The user should then
    Copy the patch to hard drive
    boot with existing version of Knoppix
    mount hard drive r/w
    unpack the tar file
    run ./applypatch

    This will create an .iso of the version you are patching from.

    The program is available from
    ftp://ftp.nickhill.co.uk/pub/knoppixpatch.tgz

    I have also put a copy of a patch file on the FTP temporarily, from version 6/6/03 patching to version 26/7/03. I do not have hosting bandwidth so will be removed soon.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: New patching program released!

    Quote Originally Posted by nickh
    I have just written a new paching program.
    Once a patch set is made, distribute the patch set.

    The user should then
    Copy the patch to hard drive
    boot with existing version of Knoppix
    mount hard drive r/w
    unpack the tar file
    run ./applypatch

    This will create an .iso of the version you are patching from.

    The program is available from
    ftp://ftp.nickhill.co.uk/pub/knoppixpatch.tgz

    I have also put a copy of a patch file on the FTP temporarily, from version 6/6/03 patching to version 26/7/03. I do not have hosting bandwidth so will be removed soon.
    I have mirrored the patchset and program:

    http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/2003-07-26/knoppixpatch/

    Enjoy!

    cu

    Fabian

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61
    Hi
    It might be a stupid question, but you said it will create an .iso
    That means you can then burn the new version of knoppix on a CD, or will this patch also upgrade your hdd-install??

    Thxs
    Ludo

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Coume
    Hi
    It might be a stupid question, but you said it will create an .iso
    That means you can then burn the new version of knoppix on a CD, or will this patch also upgrade your hdd-install??

    Thxs
    Ludo
    The patch system will not touch your hard drive install. The patch will give you a new ISO.

    Knoppix is based on the Excellent Debian system. Once you have installed Knoppix to your hard drive, you can use the Debian Package management system to install and un-install packages as you wish.

    You can keep your hard drive-installed Knoppix up to date by having a pointer in /etc/apt/sources.list to the Knoppix package repository, then run:

    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade

    You can also use Debian entries as Knoppix is based on selected Debian/unstable packages.

    For more information about the comprehensive Debian package management system:
    http://electron.mit.edu/~gsteele/debian/

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61
    thxs for the answer

    The only problem with *ME*, is that my laptop that got linux on it does not haave any access to the Internet...
    I can only download the package from work/uni and then install them home.. .Which is very very annoying I reckon...
    But I cannot get an Internet plug into my small student room
    And that's why, even if I like knoppix and debian, I'm thinking about installing slackware. The only thing scarying me is the hardware detection...

    Ludo

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Coume
    thxs for the answer

    The only problem with *ME*, is that my laptop that got linux on it does not haave any access to the Internet...
    I can only download the package from work/uni and then install them home.. .Which is very very annoying I reckon...
    But I cannot get an Internet plug into my small student room
    And that's why, even if I like knoppix and debian, I'm thinking about installing slackware. The only thing scarying me is the hardware detection...

    Ludo
    Three options:
    1) Create a (a set) of package CDs based on current Knoppix sources. Use this to update your system. You will need another GNU/Linux machine connected to the Internet to create this. The process is automated.

    2) Save /home /etc and /var/spool /var/lib/mysql /var/mail (perhaps others) in a safe place- perhaps another partition. Install the new version of Knoppix. Once you have installed the latest knoppix, write a script into rcS.d, set to run early, remounting the directories over the newer Knoppix directories using mount --bind. All your settings will then be kept between re-installs.

    3) If you decide to go slack, tar -zcf etc.tgz /etc; cp tar.zcf /mnt/floppy. You will then be able to refer to the hw configuration your Knoppix uses.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    France / Finland
    Posts
    61
    I was not aware that I wa able to keep my config when I was upgrading knoppix with a hdd-install
    Before I always had to reinstall everything...

    And thanks very much for the tips regading the hardware config! it will be useful if I decide to go under another distri...

    Ludo

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nickh
    Quote Originally Posted by Coume
    Hi :)
    It might be a stupid question, but you said it will create an .iso
    That means you can then burn the new version of knoppix on a CD, or will this patch also upgrade your hdd-install??

    Thxs
    Ludo
    The patch system will not touch your hard drive install. The patch will give you a new ISO.

    Knoppix is based on the Excellent Debian system. Once you have installed Knoppix to your hard drive, you can use the Debian Package management system to install and un-install packages as you wish.

    You can keep your hard drive-installed Knoppix up to date by having a pointer in /etc/apt/sources.list to the Knoppix package repository, then run:

    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade

    You can also use Debian entries as Knoppix is based on selected Debian/unstable packages.

    For more information about the comprehensive Debian package management system:
    http://electron.mit.edu/~gsteele/debian/
    What are the entries for the Knoppix package repository that should be listed in sources.list?

    Thanks...

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by gsocat

    What are the entries for the Knoppix package repository that should be listed in sources.list?

    Thanks...
    deb http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/i386 ./
    deb-src http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/sources ./

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1

    jigdo

    Hello,
    This patch program a good idea.
    But I wonder if you have considered using the excellent jigdo program available from Debian site 'http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/' to update the CD images.
    I use it from months to keep my official Debian CDs up-to-date.
    Regards
    --Laurent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. After patching all of knoppix....
    By koolaide187 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 10:55 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 07:49 AM
  3. Help patching 2.6.5 for live CD
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 11:05 AM
  4. Patching & hacking
    By ozfrog in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 09:31 AM
  5. rdesktop needs patching
    By sireasoning in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 03:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99