Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: nVidia or Ultrasharp problem?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5

    nVidia or Ultrasharp problem?

    I have a Dell desktop with an NVidia GeForce4 Ti4200 graphics card driving a Dell Ultrasharp 19" LCD display (using the DVI connection). Knoppix 7-26 correctly identifies both; actually, the display is detected as "DEL3009", whatever that means.

    However, I cannot get the 1280x1024 resolution (native to this display) to work--not even using xscreen=1280x1024. If I use the autodetected nv driver and xscreen=1280x1024, I get garbage on screen (diagonal bands that look like the desktop background); perhaps this is a modeline issue. If I use the fb1280x1024 driver, I get bumped out of X to the command line with an error message saying that no suitable mode for my display was found. Everything works just fine if I let Knoppix boot into 1024x768 mode, except that, of course, the picture is "soft", or fuzzy, because that is not the LCD's native resolution.

    I have tried the SuSe 8.2 live eval CDROM, and verified that it does manage to get 1280x1024 working somehow. But I cannot say whether this is an NVidia problem or a Dell Ultrasharp problem---although I suspect the latter.

    ANy ideas?
    Thanks!
    M

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: nVidia or Ultrasharp problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by marciano

    I have tried the SuSe 8.2 live eval CDROM, and verified that it does manage to get 1280x1024 working somehow. But I cannot say whether this is an NVidia problem or a Dell Ultrasharp problem---although I suspect the latter.

    ANy ideas?
    Thanks!
    M
    Make a copy the file that SUSE is using then when you boot the knoppix CD use the cheat code knoppix 2 to get to the terminal, take the copy of the SUSE working xconfig file and copy it to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 over-writing the file that knoppix would use then /etc/init.d/xsession start to actually start the X server session for knoppix hopefully it will use the correct options that SUSE did.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    95
    I have a similar problem with my nVidia ti4200. I solved the problem by booting using the commands

    boot: knoppix-txt xmodule=nv screen=1280x1024
    Basically, I booted up in text mode and everything went fine.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5
    Thanks! So, is the trick to first boot into text mode, and then start X (via the usual startx command)---or do you mean that there is no way to get X to work?

    Anyway, thanks for the tips! I will only be able to try them out two weeks from now, but I look forward to it.

    M

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    95
    No, X starts fine. Its the framebuffer thingy that knoppix (and most Linuxes) boot into when first starting up.

    Post back and let us (especially me) know if it works. Wouldn't want to be handing out false information.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5
    No joy

    I just tried using the boot paramters you suggested. I now get a blank screen as soon as X starts and switches to graphics mode. The display actually goes into sleep mode, which suggests that it's not getting any signal.

    BTW, I am driving the LCD display via the DVI connector. I don't know if this means anything, but I'll mention it just in case.

    Thanks anyway,
    Marciano.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5
    Hmm.... the plot thickens. I noticed by listing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 that there is no 1280x1024 modeline, even it I specify it at the boot prompt. Indeed, there is no such line even if I choose "expert" booting and configure X by hand (deselecting all resolutions except for 1280x1024 in the Screen section)!

    Any ideas? BTW, I *can* write to /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 (I tried adding a comment line with vim, just to be sure...)

    M

Similar Threads

  1. nvidia drivers problem
    By Rivendell in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-11-2005, 07:18 PM
  2. Problem after Nvidia update...
    By humi001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 12:36 PM
  3. nvidia driver install problem
    By bigrobot in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 12:32 PM
  4. 3.2 Nvidia help
    By code_pupil in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 07:49 AM
  5. nVIDIA
    By Nthline in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2003, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM picture

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM

$286.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



LOT OF 4  Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ picture

LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ

$469.95



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00