-
Basic hardware plus keyboard problems
I am having a difficult problems even getting started using the CD based version, while the hardware has errors I cannot even get started with incorrect KB setting making it worse, along with display.
Things I need at the moment is Keyboard for UK and display screen at 800x600 at boot would enable me to start on the other problems.
Den
-
Senior Member
registered user
Have you tried the cheat codes screen=800x600 and xkeyboard=gb I believe that is the country code.
-
I got over the screen problem eventually by changing monitor, but still unable to change keyboard layout to UK, for instance;
trying to type "keyboard" ends up as "kezboard" plus many other keys problems. Also so any of the few screen I have got, all text in german.
Thanks for trying.
-
Senior Member
registered user
So try lang=us then at least you will get an english language boot then go to the KDE control center and then Regional & Accessibility and change the keyboard layout to the UK.
-
Senior Member
registered user
An alternative would be to use one of the isos labelled EN.
-

Originally Posted by
fingers99
An alternative would be to use one of the isos labelled EN.

Yes but I think the EN iso's are the full package, have searched and all I see is the 2002 CD based one, not really suitable as the 250meg was bad enough on a 56K connection 
I did not expect it to easy but not even being able to type without trying to use different keys makes it horrendous.
Though Knoppix is probably not suitable for a newbie, I just wish I had stuck with Linux a long time ago, when I had a Linux partition that I tried to change and ended up with a section of the HD being unusable for a long time.
-
Senior Member
registered user
It is the full package -- last time I downloaded it it took a couple of days. I'm told that linuxiso.org have a fast server.
If you can get it on at all (maybe you could find a picture of a German keyboard) then what Stephen suggests (or what's in the original HOWTO) will work fine in Kde (and Kde launched Xterms).
For proper terminal use, (pause while I find the proper link) assuming you want to do a HD install, here's how RockMumbles sorted me out:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2593#12207
-
A couple of months it would take for the full package plus no way of knowing if even basic keyboard can be sorted, plus a distant memory from first time I tried Linux and ended up with an unusable partition.
While I did not expect a smooth install and want to move away from BG's bloatware, I really cannot handle this silly keyboard problem and even if I can get it sorted I would be faced with it each time I rebooted.
It is a pity that the CD-based version was not available in different lang versions.
Similar Threads
-
By tricky in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 23
Last Post: 07-19-2005, 03:47 PM
-
By EvilMonkey in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
-
By gekkokid_loves_you in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 07:02 PM
-
By fmarzocca in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-27-2004, 08:56 AM
-
By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key
$829.99

Protectli Vault FW4C-0-8-120 - 4 port, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 128GB
$180.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00