Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix for testing hardware problems.

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NORTH EAST ENGLAND
    Posts
    38

    Knoppix for testing hardware problems.

    I recently had a windows box that crashed several times a week. Sometimes it would just freeze, others it would reboot. I suspected the power supply as this ran a bit warm, so I changed it. To test I booted knoppix up, opened about 30 programs and used the system monitor tools to "see" what was happening. The PC seemed alright. But it got me thinking. If I have a box that has an intermitant problem, what would be the best way to use Knoppix to test?
    What would be the best way to test load a PC? What tools and logs would I use? Where would I find possible causes from logs etc. It would be very usefull if after the pc crashed I would be able to find clues to the cause.

    Knoppix is a good starting place. Run up knoppix and I can isolate whether the problem is hardware or Op sys.

    I look forward to any ideas any of you may have.

    Thanks, Jimmy.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NORTH EAST ENGLAND
    Posts
    38
    Further to above. It was not the power supply that was causing the problem.

    It still crashed. I ran a memtest overnight and that found some errors. Now on test, fingers crossed!!!

Similar Threads

  1. testing 3.9 w/ unionfs and apt-get update, upgrade- problems
    By nosknoppix in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 01:07 PM
  2. Hardware problems
    By EvilMonkey in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 03:21 PM
  3. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  4. Knoppix hardware booting problems
    By Yattaman in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 07:10 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 08:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB, Thunder Black

$387.46



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI picture

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI

$144.00