Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: system hangs on boot when creating /etc/fstab

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1

    system hangs on boot when creating /etc/fstab

    Hi folks:

    I'm new to Knoppix. I have a system running Win2K on my Toshiba laptop. I put the Knoppix CD in and it starts the boot process and gets all the way to "Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab... " and then sits there indefinitely.

    Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Furthermore, can I circumvent this somehow?

    Thanks in advance!

    -niyogi

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    failure at /etc/fstab

    Hello,
    I am new to knoppix also (started 2 days ago). I was having the exact same problem you are on my toshiba satellite 1805. I tried all sorts of combinations of the cheat codes and finally success... by enabling dma on all drives it works. So to start knoppix I type:
    knoppix dma lang=us screen=1024x768
    and everything works so far.

    kgray1980

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4

    laptop fails at /etc/fstab/ creation

    I too have a Toshiba laptop that fails at "Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab... " I tried entering dma at the boot prompt, but it says something like "no dma kernel" What's the deal? I'm using Knoppix v3.2 7-26-2003
    I have tried the CD on my wife's HP laptop and it works just fine, so I don't think there is anything wrong with my CD (even got the wireless connection working there!)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    4
    Never mind, I'm just a complete idiot today. Forgot to type "knoppix dma" at the boot, I was just typing "dma" Everything boots now and seems to work (I'm in knoppix now). None of my hd partitions are showing up, not even the linux ones though. on well.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3

    Damn...same problem here

    Another Toshiba laptop here...same problem. The version of Knoppix I've been using (6/6/03) works fine, except for some minor issue with the AGP/video modprobe. Hell, video looks fine though.

    But I downloaded the new .ISO (7/26/03) and burned it...I get a hang at boot when it's trying to setup /etc/fstab. If I put in the DMA option it does boot all the way...but the icon for my hard drive isn't on the desktop, as it was in the older version I've been using.

    What am I doing wrong?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --What does ' fdisk -l ' as root return?

    Quote Originally Posted by brim146
    Never mind, I'm just a complete idiot today. Forgot to type "knoppix dma" at the boot, I was just typing "dma" Everything boots now and seems to work (I'm in knoppix now). None of my hd partitions are showing up, not even the linux ones though. on well.

Similar Threads

  1. linux26 locks up when creating fstab
    By Guierrmo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 05:32 PM
  2. On-CD system stop on /etc/fstab
    By ackelley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 01:15 AM
  3. The Guide to Creating a Dual Boot Knoppix 3.4/Win XP System
    By furryfren in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 08:44 AM
  4. System hangs during boot with USB flash drive attached
    By farcha in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 10:55 PM
  5. System hangs with aic7xxx.o --> boot noscsi --> no Eth
    By danielgarcia in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 06:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P POE+ Switch 12 x 1GbE & 2 SFP+ 10G uplinks

$124.99



Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch

$249.99



Juniper EX2300-48P 48-Port SFP PoE+ Managed Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-48P 48-Port SFP PoE+ Managed Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch

$64.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper QFX5100-24Q-3AFo 24x QSFP+ Ports Dual MGMT 2x AC Power QFX5100-24Q-AFo picture

Juniper QFX5100-24Q-3AFo 24x QSFP+ Ports Dual MGMT 2x AC Power QFX5100-24Q-AFo

$586.63