Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: knoppix-install only gives me 2 options?!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    52

    knoppix-install only gives me 2 options?!

    Hello Everyone,

    I've tried knoppix-install on a few different machine, but it only seems to work on one. In must case I only get the two options.

    1.partition
    2.quit

    On the one where it does work, I get all the options, partition, install, load, save and quit. The oddity is on the systems where it doesn't work, I have to kill the installer to get out of it.

    Any ideas?!
    cesman

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I'm not sure what the cause of this is, but I recently experienced the same thing. Knoppix-installer worked fine as I was working through it the first time, but during this same first time through I had to kill the install. When I restarted it with the knoppix-installer script - the only options for me were to partition and to quit. I was in a hurry so I ended up using the old knx-hdinstall to install.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    52
    I think it is a hardware issue on one of my test systems. I've since tried on a laptop and my main workstation and all appears normal.

    cesman

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1
    Yes maybe its a hardware issue, but there´s a workaround (worked for me anyway) Do the partitioning in cfdisk and quit, start knx-hdinstall and format your swap partition, quit and start knoppix-installer and you should see all options.

    Regards
    Mike

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Sounds good. Thanks Mike.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    13
    Don't think it can be a hardware issue. First time I did the install on my laptop, I got the four options. Second time I did it, same machine , I got only two options.
    With regard to the swap partition, perhaps it's worth pointing out that it's a good idea to fix the size you want before hard disc installing from the cdrom. Knoppix will use any swap partition it finds and while it is being used the size can't be altered.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    I also fot the 2 options while using BOTH knoppix-installer and knx-hdinstall the reason is that "the disk does not contain a valid partition table"(see my related post on this). this does not happen on version 0606.
    I think it is the new kernel.

Similar Threads

  1. Two Knoppix boot options?
    By kernco in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 08:35 AM
  2. Partion Read-only, Only 2 options on install menu.
    By kgw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 02:37 AM
  3. Options for Knoppix on an iBook?
    By miazmaticdotcom in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:25 PM
  4. Knoppix Problems/Boot Options
    By Journey44 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 05:56 AM
  5. knoppix thin client options
    By sireasoning in forum Ideas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 05:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y picture

Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y

$699.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM picture

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM

$145.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99