Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix Help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix Help

    I have d/l and burnt to disk Knoppix. I have been reading abit about Linux and seeing as though I'm not crazy about XP, I wanted to give it a try. The 1st thing I see while booting from disk is Error, only 1 processor found. Then it goes on to install and boot up no problem. After the desktop comes up, there is a blue box in the upper center of my screen that says "mode not supported". This cant be gotten rid of. But everything seems to run ok. I can get on the net and surf ok with there browser, but its not sized right. Either is the desktop. Any ideals? I really want to learn abit about this OS. Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Try booting with the following cheat code: "knoppix nosmp" This will tell Knoppix to only look for one processor.


    -------------
    edit
    -------------

    Actually I guess it will tell knoppix to not try and use the smp functionality of the motherboard....which will effectively tell it to stick with one processor

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You may also want to try the cheat code vga=normal.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    fixed

    The Knoppix nosmp cheat took care of the processor error, and then I changed resolution to 800x600 which took care of the sizing and the mode not supported problem. Im using Knoppix right now. It feels good to be using a open source OS. I have gotten use to MicroSoft like most, but I could go on and on about how much I dislike their policies. My surfing speed seems slower though. I am on broadband. Are there any posts concerning this that someone could point me too? Do you get better speed with a actual install of Linux to the HD? Thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    My surfing speed seems slower though. Do you get better speed with a actual install of Linux to the HD?
    Impossible to be specific: if you could post your modem type and/or the type of broadband you're using, maybe someone could give it a shot.

    Are you sure it's just not a perception (with the surfing/downloads): it might be an idea to do a benchmark against the download of a particular file.

    I'm not sure (later on) whether you mean "better speed" as in faster downloads or better speed as regards general operation.

    Speed of operation seems to vary a great deal according to your set up: in theory HD should be faster (at least on disk intensive operations) if only because a hard drive install allows you to do some serious tweaking.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1785.15



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$427.48



APPLE MacBook Pro A2485 2021 16

APPLE MacBook Pro A2485 2021 16" M1 Pro 32GB 1TB SSD Gray Tahoe -Good

$899.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$475.60



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Gigabyte 1TB 2280 SSD Solid State Drive AG450E1024-Sl, 27107-1TB15-P70S picture

Gigabyte 1TB 2280 SSD Solid State Drive AG450E1024-Sl, 27107-1TB15-P70S

$99.99



Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11 picture

Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11

$699.00