Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix Help

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix Help

    I have d/l and burnt to disk Knoppix. I have been reading abit about Linux and seeing as though I'm not crazy about XP, I wanted to give it a try. The 1st thing I see while booting from disk is Error, only 1 processor found. Then it goes on to install and boot up no problem. After the desktop comes up, there is a blue box in the upper center of my screen that says "mode not supported". This cant be gotten rid of. But everything seems to run ok. I can get on the net and surf ok with there browser, but its not sized right. Either is the desktop. Any ideals? I really want to learn abit about this OS. Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Try booting with the following cheat code: "knoppix nosmp" This will tell Knoppix to only look for one processor.


    -------------
    edit
    -------------

    Actually I guess it will tell knoppix to not try and use the smp functionality of the motherboard....which will effectively tell it to stick with one processor

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You may also want to try the cheat code vga=normal.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2

    fixed

    The Knoppix nosmp cheat took care of the processor error, and then I changed resolution to 800x600 which took care of the sizing and the mode not supported problem. Im using Knoppix right now. It feels good to be using a open source OS. I have gotten use to MicroSoft like most, but I could go on and on about how much I dislike their policies. My surfing speed seems slower though. I am on broadband. Are there any posts concerning this that someone could point me too? Do you get better speed with a actual install of Linux to the HD? Thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    My surfing speed seems slower though. Do you get better speed with a actual install of Linux to the HD?
    Impossible to be specific: if you could post your modem type and/or the type of broadband you're using, maybe someone could give it a shot.

    Are you sure it's just not a perception (with the surfing/downloads): it might be an idea to do a benchmark against the download of a particular file.

    I'm not sure (later on) whether you mean "better speed" as in faster downloads or better speed as regards general operation.

    Speed of operation seems to vary a great deal according to your set up: in theory HD should be faster (at least on disk intensive operations) if only because a hard drive install allows you to do some serious tweaking.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed picture

New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed

$466.65



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$345.97



Juniper SRX5400X-BASE2 Services Gateway Firewall SRX5K-RE3-128G SCB3 2x AC PS picture

Juniper SRX5400X-BASE2 Services Gateway Firewall SRX5K-RE3-128G SCB3 2x AC PS

$5495.00



Juniper AP34-US Mist AI Wireless Access Point WiFi 6 Indoor AP (no power) picture

Juniper AP34-US Mist AI Wireless Access Point WiFi 6 Indoor AP (no power)

$200.00



Juniper EX2200-C-12T-2G 12-Port Gigabit Ethernet 2x SFP Fanless Switch picture

Juniper EX2200-C-12T-2G 12-Port Gigabit Ethernet 2x SFP Fanless Switch

$110.00



New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty picture

New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty

$895.00



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99