This may be due to a difference in how the other monitor deals with the refresh rate. Check your monitor specifications for the max refresh at that screen size and use xvfresh=##
This may fix your problem.
I just changed monitors from an HP 19" to an Hitachi CM751 19". Now the fonts are unreadable!
Is there any way to specify the monitor and/or video card from within Knoppix? I have changed most of the screen fonts to Bookman (from the default Helvetica) to make them semi-readable, but why the differences just because I changed monitors?
I am adding screen=1280x1024 at the boot prompt, just as I did previously.
Thanks!
This may be due to a difference in how the other monitor deals with the refresh rate. Check your monitor specifications for the max refresh at that screen size and use xvfresh=##
This may fix your problem.
Thanks for the info. I tried xvrefresh=75, which is the refresh rate I use in Win 2000 at 1280x1024 resolution, but the fonts were still garbled. The fonts were fine with xvrefresh=60, but the screen flicker was awful!
If I simply press enter at _boot, Knoppix will go into 1024x768 mode and the fonts and refresh rate are fine, but everything is too big for my taste.
I am wondering if there is a way to specify my particular monitor at startup, or to change the monitor and resolution from within KDE?
BTW, Knoppix correctly detects my Matrox G550 video card and uses the mga driver.

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3
$59.99
Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00
9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN
$55.00
MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00