-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
mrdark
Hey everybody. This is my first post here and I have to say that Knoppix is by far one of the most enjoyable projects I have ever played with. I started using knoppix three weeks ago (actually knoppix is my first real linux experience ever) and now I have remastered it about a dozen times (learning can be addictive) Anyway, I have to say that this script is a good idea but not everyone wants to install knoppix to a hd (or create a persistant home dir) just to get the nvidia drivers to work. If Mr. Knopper doesn't want to include the drivers in the normal knoppix release I can accept that. But why not give some "how to" for those that want to include them into their own personal remasters. Personally I have three main machines I work on.
(1). at work has a matrox card
(2). at home has nvidia
(3). laptop has ati
knoppix running on 1 & 3 works perfect but the home pc (nvidia) doesn't (no hardware accel). I have been trying to include the latest set of drivers for the past week with some old posts from this site but can't quite seem to get it to work right with the hardware auto detection. I don't really want to create two different disks for the three different pc's as that kinda defeats the purpose of a good remastering.
So why not clue those of us in on how to get it to work with auto detection (including install) for our own personal editions, so knoppix doesn't have to.
Just my two cents. Anyway thanks for turning me into a linux junky, I need to get back to compiling spacehulk.
It _is_ already possible to do an remaster very easily with this script and the provided things ...
You copy knoppix.sh and nvidia.tbz from above site to /cdrom/KNOPPIX/.
You can then rebuild the master. (No need to modify the compressed part of the image)
You restart with this new CD and boom if there is an card, where nv or vesa would be used, its set to nvidia ...
For other cards I believe 3d will be disabled but they'll also work ...
But you are right, there should be a part that determines if there is a nvidia in there and only then start the knoppix.sh 
You can easily add it:
at the beginning of knoppix.sh do:
if [ -z "$(lspci | grep VGA | grep -i nvidia)" ]
then
echo "No nVidia graphics adapter could be found."
exit 3
fi
I won't add it a the moment, as I'm on holidays.
)
Btw. it does work best with myconfig at the moment, not perfect with persistent home ...
cu
Fabian
Similar Threads
-
By Dioxin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
-
By colpitts in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-02-2005, 10:37 AM
-
By robelanator in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 49
Last Post: 10-06-2004, 10:10 PM
-
By MillTek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 05-19-2004, 05:56 PM
-
By 3p0cHx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$290.24

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$329.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter
$169.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50