-
Kernel panic - reiserfs
I recompiled kernel 2.4.21-xfs to include raid0 and md modules, I installed lilo, after reboot I obtain this error:
/modules/reiserfs.o: kernel module version mismatch
/modules/reiserfs.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.21-xfs
while this kernel is version 2.4.21
FAT: bogous logical sector size 0
FAT: bogous logical sector size 0
md: swapper(pid 1) used obsolete MD ioctl, upgrade your software to use new ictls
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:00
The system has 2 hard disks with 3 partitions with raid 0 fs:reiserfs, swap partitions and a ext3 /boot non-raid partition
I recompiled source of knoppix 2.4.21-xfs kernel not 2.4.21 vanilla version, then I don't understand the error.
Please help me to boot the system.
Thanks.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hi,
did you run "make modules modules_install" from /usr/src/linux after kernel compilation ?
I would compile the reiserfs and ext3 support directly into the kernel (or at least the filesystem used for the root-fs). Otherwise you'd need to have an initial ram-disk (initrd).
good luck
-
I compiled the kernel with the live-cd mounting the root partition in /mnt/root/
My banal doubt is:
How run "modules install" in this root directory tree mounted under /mnt/root ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I had the same problem before and the reason was that reiser file system was compiled as a module. Try to modify your new kernel config by putting a 'y' to lines containing 'reiser'in the file system section of the config file. then do another kernel compile.
-
Ok, done.
But how can I run "make modules_install" if my /dev/md0 (raid0 reiserfs) - the root filesystem on hard disk where I compiled the kernel - is mounted under /mnt/root of live-cd fs?
I tried to chroot to /mnt/root but many commands doesn't run, maybe because environment paths still reamain the same of live cd.
Similar Threads
-
By Trace Green in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-19-2005, 04:33 PM
-
By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
-
By cYmen in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-14-2003, 10:17 AM
-
By tji in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM
-
By mordor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$345.00

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$295.00

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800
$189.95

SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested
$119.99

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board
$675.00

Computer Retrospective DDP-116 SEAC UNIVAC DEC PDP-8 Altair 8800 Cray-1 CDC 6600
$65.00

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI
$150.00

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00